• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

web page with same name as another person's potentially trademarked name

• Thread starter captainsandwich
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

captainsandwich

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Massachusetts.

I have received a message from a person with the same name as a page on my site. He has his own domain name that he uses for his personal business. He has threatened to take legal action if I do not change the name of said page (page, not domain.) I am not selling anything or in any way defaming anyone. The page on my site is purely a humorous one which coincidentally uses the same name as his. It is also fairly obvious that it is my personal site, not affiliated to him. I have offered to put a disclaimer noting we are not affiliated with a link to his page, and he is still not satisfied. He is saying his name is trademarked and asked me to remove 'his name' from the page. He says I am taking business away from him and potentially confusing his would- be customers. Is this something I should seriously concern myself with? Thanks!

HomeGuru

captainsandwich said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Massachusetts.

I have received a message from a person with the same name as a page on my site. He has his own domain name that he uses for his personal business. He has threatened to take legal action if I do not change the name of said page (page, not domain.) I am not selling anything or in any way defaming anyone. The page on my site is purely a humorous one which coincidentally uses the same name as his. It is also fairly obvious that it is my personal site, not affiliated to him. I have offered to put a disclaimer noting we are not affiliated with a link to his page, and he is still not satisfied. He is saying his name is trademarked and asked me to remove 'his name' from the page. He says I am taking business away from him and potentially confusing his would- be customers. Is this something I should seriously concern myself with? Thanks!
**A: the federally registered tradename rules.

C

captainsandwich

HomeGuru said:
**A: the federally registered tradename rules.
Thank you for the quick response. What about characters in literature or television with the same name as 'real' people?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">