• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible RE code upgrade?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jesuslvr002

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?NC

My husband was a USMC 10 years ago. He was 17 when he entered turning 18 during Basic training. He excelled in many areas of the military. Unfortunately he also made some bad decisions. On 2 different occasions he tried drugs with other fellow Marine freinds. Someone found out about this and they were then called to their new CO's office. They had met their new Co that morning. Problem is that the other fellows were called in first to give statements without my husband. Then when my husband was called in to give his statement he was told that they were going to "burn" him. Turns out the other men had each given a statement. No one statement was the same. But all three statements implyed that my husband was the sole cause of the drug use. One said he secretly drugged them, another that he physically forced them to take the drugs. None of these were true. Bottom line was they all took the drugs willingly. Nonetheless, my husband was immediately taken to the brig where there were charges thrown at him left and right. His lawyer failed to present him with the pre-trial agreement they had offered. 18 months then discharged with eligibilty to re-enlist within a few years. My husband did not find this out until his trial had already started. Then his lawyer told him that by pleading not guilty to the charges it would do him more harm than good. Being 18 and scared my husband believed him and pleaded guilty. He was sentenced and spent 2 years in the brig getting 1 year early for good behavior. He was given a BCD with an RE-4. I have recently started researching this knowing how badly my husband would like to return to the military. I am now working with our congressman. My question is this, number 1, what are my options? Is an appeal possible at this point? Is his guilty plea going to hurt him in this? If nothing else would the National Guard be willing to take him with an Re-4? And lastly How much power does the Congreesman have to really help us. My husband has led a trouble free life since being discharged. he has been a hard worker and very involved in our church. He is not denying his wrong doing. I feel that his case was blown out of proportion. Also one more, I have read that it is the CO who gives the RE code. If that is the case , could his CO who had only met him an hour before be knowledgable enough to give an accurate RE code based on his insight into my husbands character?

Thanks again

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">