• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

falsifying medical records

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? New York

My mother was diagnosed w/lung and colon cancer. 5 years ago she had a colonoscopy done and the doctor told her everything was fine and he would see her in 3 years.
When she went to the onocologist yesterday and he was reading her the reports from the proctologist he said that in the proctologists records it states he found cancer in the colon 5 years ago and sent my mother for radiation. He never even told my mother 5 years ago or did he send her for radiation and now the cancer has spread and the prognosis is not good. Is there anything we can do? If he falsified her medical records he probably is doing it to other people. I feel he should pay for what he has done.

ellencee

lori netter
If your mother is not up to sorting this out, ask her to make you her representative (durable power of attorney) so that you can act on her behalf.

Read the report in her records. Make sure it is your mother's report (name, date of birth, patient number, date of procedure, etc.).

Get a copy of the original report of the colonoscopy and any films that may be available plus any tissue reports from the procedure. It may be a good idea to go to the hospital where her records are from the colonoscopy and read the original report while there and then get a copy; you don't want to risk receiving an incorrect report.

Then, if what has been described to you is true, your mother (or you as her agent) should consult with a medmal attorney at once. The statute of limitations will most likely have begun at the time the oncologist informed your mother of the previous report, but consult with a medmal attorney as soon as possible.

EC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">