• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Michigan Marijuana Possession

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NeilDiamondFan

What is the name of your state? Michigan

My wife was at a concert in Oakland county and was caught passing a marijuana cigarette to another person. The undercover police asked if she had any more and she gave them 2 rolled marijuana cigarettes in a cigarette pack.

She went to present herself in Oakland County and they entered a not guilty plea for her. Her terms are not leaving the state and submitting to random drug/alcohol testing.

1. Should we consult an attorney?
2. Why does she have to submit to alcohol testing?
3. What might happen at the pre-trial?

Thank you.

CdwJava

NeilDiamondFan said:
1. Should we consult an attorney?
Probably.

2. Why does she have to submit to alcohol testing?
DRUG and alcohol testing ... as a condition of being released on her own recognizance. The alternative is to be in custody or have to make bail, I suppose.

3. What might happen at the pre-trial?
It's likely a hearing to determine if there is sufficient evidence to go forward with trial, and to assign an attorney if you cannot otherwise afford one.

- Carl

<Bill>

I know tons of people in Oakland county busted for possession, if she's charged with possession she's looking at a stiff fine most likely if her records fairly clean. That's based on past experience though so don't take it as absolute truth. I'm not sure a lawyer will do any good since she's caught red handed, but go get a free consultation.

My Friend's dad's a cop and we spotted him in the Palace parking lot doing the undercover thing.

NeilDiamondFan

Follow-up

Thank you for your comments and assistance.

The drug and alcohol testing was random twice a week for about 5 months ($11 each time) and report to a probation officer. That was then reduced to twice a month, 10 days community service (which she actually enjoyed) and a weekend at some kind of house ($200.) I think she said she had to pay $15 each day at community service for something.

There are still fines to be paid, court costs and attorney fees.

It is obvious why marijuana is still illegal. City, county, state and federal agencies would lose a huge cash cow in fines.

Thanks again.

CdwJava

NeilDiamondFan said:
It is obvious why marijuana is still illegal. City, county, state and federal agencies would lose a huge cash cow in fines.
With the fines and fees you just mentioned, the city, state and feds are not making much (if any) money. I have to work this stuff up for a living, and the assessed fees rarely cover the actual cost of doing business. And while I cannot speak for your state, I imagine your state's reality is similar to California's.

Hopefully she's not smoking marijuana any more. If so, she may want to keep in mind that passing it off to someone can be charged as distributing which (at least in CA) is a more serious offense than possession.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">