• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dismissed case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bitarNY

What is the name of your state? New York

Hi to everyone...

From the beginning I would like to apologize for any misspelled or wrongly constructed sentence (grammar), English is my 3rd language...
Several months ago I committed a stupid act and got caught, I was charged for Petit Larceny. A couple months after my case was dismissed. According to judge no records will be in my history. Thank God. All these part is clear and have raised no any further questions. The department store where that incident had taken place has its lawyers to represent them. So they filed me with letter that is saying that I should pay them the amount of money of which the merchandise was valued, which was returned to them in fullness with no damage. I sent them a check of $100.00 in full satisfaction of this matter and they cashed that check. I thought everything is over and then I received another notice (finale) from them saying that I still have money to pay. In their letter they say that they may file a case against me.
Now they have 2 cases against me, as I talked to them latter on they said one is the actual merchandise in the bag and the second one is a shirt with a value of $350.00, which is ridicules. That shirt was on me, the security guys they took off it from me, as they assumed that that was stolen from the store too, but it was an obvious worn out shirt.
So, I called them and spoke with them, no results. They are still asking for money, although I mentioned that my case was dismissed. I said to them that I am not going to pay them and they said that if they decide to file a case against me, I may be charged even more money. Their final suggestion was pay and go away and we will forget about this.
I am confused, as I said I was pleaded not guilty and the case was dismissed. Now if I pay (which is a lot of money for me) they may use that against me and file a case for this matter. So please help me to understand… should I pay them or not?

Thank you very much.

LK

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">