• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

exwife won't refinance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nancj

What is the name of your state? PA.

My boyfriends ex won't refinance to remove his name from the morgage.
Is there any steps he can take to force her to refinance. He doesn't want anything out of it he just wants his name off of it. I don't think she can refinance without someone co-signing for her.

N

nancj

State Pa.

It is only stated they see takes finacial responsiblity for the property. Yes his name is on the deed & morgage.

C

Catek

Ex won't refinance mortage - Have a similar situation

Don't mean to butt in, but I am located in South Carolina and I have a similar situation with my new husband (of 2 months). He is still on the mortgage of his former marital home. The ex-wife received the home in the divorce settlement and my husband signed a quitclaim deed on the thing so his name is off the deed. How can he press to get his name off of the mortage? His ex doesn't work and keeps saying she is going to sell the house because she can't afford it, yet there has yet to be a For Sale sign go up in front of it. He doesn't pay her alimony or child support. I keep telling him he needs to get off that mortage because if she falls behind, the bank will come after his butt. Can't he go back to court and force her to either refinance this house (not likely since she is "allergic" :eek: to getting a job) or sell the thing?
Thanks,
Cate

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Catek - you'd likely be better off by starting a new thread for your situation. It makes it confusing for posters and the OP when a thread is hijacked with a different situation, regardless of how similar they might be.

JETX

nancj said:
It is only stated they see takes finacial responsiblity for the property.
Since the decree doesn't provide a specific obligation for her to refinance or sell, there is no requirement for her to do so. Based on your very limited information, it would appear that she can leave his name on as long as she wants.... and she is only in violation if he incurs a "finacial responsiblity" (sic).

annefan

nancj said:
State Pa.

It is only stated they see takes finacial responsiblity for the property. Yes his name is on the deed & morgage.

If their divorce decree states that she must take financial responsibility for the mortgage, then he has to file suit against her to make her refinance and release him. The mortgage company does not care what anyone's divorce stipulations say, court ordered or not.

JETX

annefan said:
If their divorce decree states that she must take financial responsibility for the mortgage, then he has to file suit against her to make her refinance and release him.
Sorry, but that is not true. At this point, until such time as the ex is 'damaged' (by incurring a 'financial responsibility'), there is no 'violation' of the order... and no cause for action.... and nothing to enforce.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">