• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can we file a claim?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veronica1228

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

Last week Thursday the four family house/building next to our home caught fire and they suffered significant damage to the rear of the property. The following day we discovered that our backyard is filled with the burned parts of the house that the fire department cut off of the building (2 piles 6' each), our fence was torn down by the firemen and a kitchen window (storm) was broken by one of the F.D.'s ladders. While our damage was insignificant in comparison, I wonder if we can file a claim against the home owner's insurance policy of the other property owner. We have a rather large deductable on our policy and would end up paying out of our own pocket if we use it.

Any suggestions on how to handle this would be appreciated. Also, how does one go about finding the owner of a property? We don't know who it is, and the 3 families that were living there moved out (were burnt out?) and were only renting.

HomeGuru

Veronica1228 said:
What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

Last week Thursday the four family house/building next to our home caught fire and they suffered significant damage to the rear of the property. The following day we discovered that our backyard is filled with the burned parts of the house that the fire department cut off of the building (2 piles 6' each), our fence was torn down by the firemen and a kitchen window (storm) was broken by one of the F.D.'s ladders. While our damage was insignificant in comparison, I wonder if we can file a claim against the home owner's insurance policy of the other property owner. We have a rather large deductable on our policy and would end up paying out of our own pocket if we use it.

Any suggestions on how to handle this would be appreciated. Also, how does one go about finding the owner of a property? We don't know who it is, and the 3 families that were living there moved out (were burnt out?) and were only renting.
**A: contact your own insurance carrier and ask them what to do.

Veronica1228

Just wanted to post an update and let you know how everthing turned out.

As it happens, we were EXTREMELY lucky. :) When the building owner and his crew showed up to do repairs/clean-up, we went outside to talk to them and showed them the damage to our backyard and property. They were so accommodating. Not only did they clean all of the garbage out of the backyard and replace the window and fence, but they even helped us move out 2 junky easy chairs we had been trying to get rid of for some time (too heavy for a little girl like me) and put it into the industrial garbage bins they rented for their clean up job.

I am so relieved that this is resolved, and we didn't have to pay a dime for any of it. We couldn't quite get a straight answer as to the cause of the fire, but I have several relatives that are in law enforcement and I think I'll have them look into this for me.

Thanks again for your help.

DebHgn

Veronica1228 said:
Just wanted to post an update and let you know how everthing turned out.

As it happens, we were EXTREMELY lucky. :) When the building owner and his crew showed up to do repairs/clean-up, we went outside to talk to them and showed them the damage to our backyard and property. They were so accommodating. Not only did they clean all of the garbage out of the backyard and replace the window and fence, but they even helped us move out 2 junky easy chairs we had been trying to get rid of for some time (too heavy for a little girl like me) and put it into the industrial garbage bins they rented for their clean up job.

I am so relieved that this is resolved, and we didn't have to pay a dime for any of it. We couldn't quite get a straight answer as to the cause of the fire, but I have several relatives that are in law enforcement and I think I'll have them look into this for me.

Thanks again for your help.
Boo Hoo, you should have taken care of it yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">