• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

adverse possesion again

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Tim Godshall

What is the name of your state?pa

A piece of land in the center of our block 2.5 acres was used by all from it's incepetion. It is shown on the plan book from the early 1940's as being dedicated to public use (playground), and was assessed to the local city school district, but the original deed for the 19 acre subdivision left this piece still in the name of the developer. When they redid the tax maps it was reasessed to the original developer, who we contacted and purchased the land. This was done to prevent it from going to a tax sale. Were other pieces like this in the area had ended up. We told everybody that they should use the land as they had, and it all seemed fine, but one out of 32 nieghbors is trying to sue over adverse posession. He bought his home in 2002, and the people he bought it from are no longer alive. do i have a case to keep what i bought.

nextwife

You have 32 neighbors who have open and continuously been using this area as a playground for many years, you bought it at tax sale, and he has nobody to back up any claim his prior owners were ever even using this property as their own?

Sure doen't sound like he has any claim. Talk to an attorney.

T

Tim Godshall

actually I bought it to keep it from going to a tax sale, i live on the block and wanted everything to remain the same. i spoke to a nieghbor who's parents were a original owner,and he told that when his parents bought the home it was a understanding that they could use the property and were asked to help maintain it, and that is how it has been for the last 40 years. If anyone would have come to me and said they would like to buy there portion behind their home i would consider it, but i am not looking to profiet from this. I would prefer to leave it as it is.
thank you

annefan

Re-check your title. If there are any clouds or defects, you would want to file a Suit to Quiet Title, to establish ownership of the property by removing those clouds or defects that might exist presently against the property.
You want to obtain a real estate attorney to do this for you.

Your neighbor, on the other hand, is full of bunk. He cannot file a claim for adverse possession. In PA, this claim can only be made after physically occupying an owner's property in an open, visible, continuous manner, against that owner's consent and for a minimum time period of 21 years.

HomeGuru

Tim Godshall said:
What is the name of your state?pa

A piece of land in the center of our block 2.5 acres was used by all from it's incepetion. It is shown on the plan book from the early 1940's as being dedicated to public use (playground), and was assessed to the local city school district, but the original deed for the 19 acre subdivision left this piece still in the name of the developer. When they redid the tax maps it was reasessed to the original developer, who we contacted and purchased the land. This was done to prevent it from going to a tax sale. Were other pieces like this in the area had ended up. We told everybody that they should use the land as they had, and it all seemed fine, but one out of 32 nieghbors is trying to sue over adverse posession. He bought his home in 2002, and the people he bought it from are no longer alive. do i have a case to keep what i bought.

**A: your neighbor has no claim, although his mind is adverse and does not possess a brain.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">