• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbors Used car lot across the street!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Kriefy

WISCONSIN

I live in a new subdivison with average ranch homes. Except for the one across the street. They have 9 yes 9 cars to there family or house which ever you prefer. The problem is that my house and there house are only 4 years old. This leads to a big eye sore problem for me. After a neighborhood petition on our rules for a paved driveway, they said they don't care and still have gravel. The cars have been a problem for some time now. I have called the local police the see what they could do. No luck all the cars move and they are all registerd. So what I am looking for is a possible law or way I can have them keep all these cars somwhere else or get rid of them?

nextwife

Are they within your subdivsion? If so, have you carefully reviewed the CC&Rs or deed restrictions that would affect their property to see if there are any restrictions that they are violating? If so, you can get together with the other annoyed owners and have get any attorney who can take action to enforce compliance.

nextwife

And triple check if your municipality imposes any limits on how many vehicles may be kept UNGARAGED (out in view) or any other vehicular limit. My village, for example doesn't tecnically limit cars, just the number of cars allowed parked outside a garage overnight, which creates a limit on cars kept at premises.

HomeGuru

nextwife said:
And triple check if your municipality imposes any limits on how many vehicles may be kept UNGARAGED (out in view) or any other vehicular limit. My village, for example doesn't tecnically limit cars, just the number of cars allowed parked outside a garage overnight, which creates a limit on cars kept at premises.
**A: my village does not even have any cars so don't get technical.

Arlee

Yikes, this leads me to a question from the other side of this argument. If there are no CCRs limiting number of cars, and they are not usually there overnight, can a homeowner be penalized?

My Dad's house in Ga. is the "homeplace" for all his grown children and grandchildren. The daughters and their families that live one town over come by most Sundays for a meal, and of course on all holidays. When I travel from Alabama, often once a month, my daughters and I stay overnight. Very often, the kids' cousins or one or more of my sisters will stay over as well. We all stay more often now that my mother is deceased and my dad is lonely.

My father, known by his HOA as "that old a-hole" due to another circumstance (see "Dambreak" post), has had numerous complaints and threats from his neighbors about the "car lot," similar to the above poster's complaint. There are no CCRs in his neighborhood limiting the cars. There are usually only two or three cars there during weekdays. No one ever parks on the street, only on Dad's 2-acre property.

Is there anything hateful the neighbors can legally do against him? Can we be considered by law to be a nuisance by visiting our father/grandfather, or are the neighbors a bit unreasonable? By having several cars stay occasionally overnight, are we likely breaking any enforceable codes?

None of the cars is old or ugly enough to be called an "eyesore," but collectively, they have garnered that complaint.

Arlee

K

Kriefy

Thank you all for you comments and suggestions. I will look into the regs and see what I can find!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">