• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sick days?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

shanesays19

What is the name of your state? PA

Can an ER write in a contract that you are not allowed to ever have a sick day and ALL days that are off for ANY reason must be notified 2 weeks in advance?

What if my arm falls off?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
An employer can put anything in the contract that he wants. That doesn't mean you have to sign it.

BTW, if you are referring to PAID sick days, nothing in Federal law or the law of any state except California (and not always in California) requires an employer to provide paid sick days, paid vacation days, or paid any kind of leave.

S

shanesays19

I wasn't concrned with Paid.

i was under the impression that a contract with an ER (in some states, PA included) could not go against state labor law - so even if it is in there, it is not enforceable

Assuming state law prohibits that behavior - so I guess that is my question

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You are free to call the Department of Labor and Industry to confirm but I am not aware of any labor law in any state which this would violate*. Other than a few states (and PA is NOT one of them) which require one day of rest out of every seven, nothing in the law requires an employer to EVER allow a sick day, vacation day, or any other leave.

* IF AND ONLY IF the employer, the employee and the condition ALL THREE qualify for FMLA, they would have to allow an exception for that. Also, in some circumstances the ADA may require time off or a flexible schedule, but that would be INCREDIBLY situation specific. Beyond that however, the employer may require you to work 365 days a year if they so desire. It would be stupid, but it would be legal.

Beth3

Yes.

However it appears what you're referring to would very likely be due to overuse in which case the warranty does not apply. :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">