• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Live-in moved out left belongings

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

luv2breathe4u

What is the name of your state?Illinois
I have a question for my son. His girlfriend (live-in) moved out about a month ago and has still not come to get her belongings. Her belongings include a tv, misc clothes, microwave and her children's misc toys, beds, etc. They were together approx a year. She has been by to talk to him two or three times in the past month, but shows no signs of coming to get her things.
Is there a certain amount of time he has to keep her things? Can he get rid of them after a specified amount of time? Are they considered his property after a specified time?
He is willing to give her any and all of her things, but he wants to be rid of them.
Thanks for your help!
at is the name of your state?

VeronicaGia

luv2breathe4u said:
What is the name of your state?Illinois
I have a question for my son. His girlfriend (live-in) moved out about a month ago and has still not come to get her belongings. Her belongings include a tv, misc clothes, microwave and her children's misc toys, beds, etc. They were together approx a year. She has been by to talk to him two or three times in the past month, but shows no signs of coming to get her things.
Is there a certain amount of time he has to keep her things? Can he get rid of them after a specified amount of time? Are they considered his property after a specified time?
He is willing to give her any and all of her things, but he wants to be rid of them.
Thanks for your help!
at is the name of your state?
He needs to notify her via registerd mail, return receipt, that she has 30 days in which to remove her belongings from his property or they will be disposed of. He should list what items he has, and even though it will say 30 days, he needs to give a specific date too. In other words, say he writes this tomorrow, giving her 30 days. So there is no confusion, he needs to tell her that if she has not retrieved her property on or before November 7, he will dispose of all of it on November 8, 2004.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">