• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

C- Section avoidable

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

krislild

What is the name of your state? NM

I had my daughter almost two years ago. I had a normal helathy non eventfull pregnancy. I went into the ER 24hrs. before I actually had my daughter. They sent me up to the Maternity ward and there was only one nurse on duty and there was a line of girls coming in. She monitored me for about 20 minutes and then told me she could not keep if I was not in labor. My OB told her to do an ultrasound while I was there ( and she didn't) I had been 2 cm for 2 months and never progressed past that. That night I went to bed and woke up about 1am and my water broke so I relaxed at my house till I thought it was time to go. I got to the hospital about 3:30 and I was 8cm and breech (butt first). They ended up having to do a emergency c-section on me. I have had major back problems ever since then. My question is this consider malpractice. (the baby had been in the delivery position everytime I went for my checkup.) I believe that when I went to the ER that my baby had already flipped, and had she had give me an ultra sound they could have caught it in time and prevented my c-section. Feed back please. I dont even know if there is a time frame to file anything. I

ellencee

krislild
I believe that when I went to the ER that my baby had already flipped, and had she had give me an ultra sound they could have caught it in time and prevented my c-section.
How? By turning the baby? That may or may not have resulted in the baby's remaining head down. It is a little unusual for a baby to flip to breach position that close to birth; I have heard of it happening, though. In today's litigation-happy society, OBs are not willing to let a breach delivery occur unless the delivery is in progress and time does not allow for a C-section. Breach deliveries are a much higher risk for fetal and maternal distress; it's safer to do a C-section.

Back pain would probably be from the spinal anesthesia and you should have your spine/spinal cord evaluated. There may be an area of residual hematoma or an area of scar tissue that is pushing on the spinal cord; at any rate, it is wise to rule out any potential for spinal cord compression. If there is an area of concern, it does not necessarily indicate negligence or malpractice. More likely than not, it would be a known possible outcome of spinal anesthesia. An x-ray of the area should reveal any abnormal area and the area's location, size, etc. may indicate if the procedure was performed below standard.

A time limit definitely applies and depending on your state, the statute of limitations may have expired or you may be so close to the end of the statute of limitations that no attorney would be willing to investigate your claim.

EC

krislild

My friend had the same thing happen and they were able to flip the baby by doing excersises in early labor. I will have to contact a lawyer thanks for your advise.

djohnson

My water broke with my daughter. I went to the hospital immediately. Had not dialated at all and no contractions yet. She was butt first and they did a c-section right then. It was better for the baby and me. I had started having back problems afterward and finally figured out years later it was my gallbladder and the attacks started small and in my back. Since it has been removed I have had no more problems. I'm sure they did what they thought was best. I agree with ellencee, it's not malpractice. When they told you it was going to be a c-section did you question it then? Did you ask for a second opinion? If you see a lawyer, try to find one that doesn't charge for the first visit so your not out any money on this.

M

monnickasmommy

It is a little unusual for a baby to flip to breach position that close to birth

My daughter did that at 33 weeks when I had her, they checked she was head first on ultra-sound until I started in full labor and nothing could be done- Trust me you dont want to have a breach baby- I have hip problem now- (yes she was airvac to a NICU, bruised badly from birth.)

J

joeyblow

You did not say why you went to the ER 24 hours prior to delivery. What was the purported purpose of the ultrasound that was supposedly not done?

Actually, it doesn't really matter. The spinal and pelvic structures are under great stress during pregnancy and some patients will have persistent back pain afterwards. Of course, "back problems" covers an enormous territory, so maybe the cause is something else entirely.

What, specifically, are the "major back problems" you have been having and what makes you think the c-section has anything whatsoever to do with them?

rmet4nzkx

Have you resolved the custody child support/visitation issues with the child's father that you avoided? Are you looking for the proceeds from a possible settlement to replace the benefits and or medical insurance, you have not sought from the father in order to avoid court ordered visitation? These are questions that will come up should you decide to move forward with this effort.

A

aeslynmc

Just my humble opinion from being on the other side of this issue....a section not being done when it was needed.... Be greatful you have a healthy baby. Breech presentation is DEFINITLY a good reason for a section (unless you told the doc that absolutely under no circumstances would you have a section). My son was not delivered by c-section, and consequentally will never walk, talk, or develop as a normal child and his estimated life care costs at this point are far in excess of $20 million....what I would give for a doc who was a little over cautious. It is not an excuse for the hospital forgetting the US but....even had they done one it is only speculation that an external version would have helped....a lot of the time they only succeed in traumatizing the baby....and the mother.

G

glitterdoll

aeslynmc said:
My son was not delivered by c-section, and consequentally will never walk, talk, or develop as a normal child and his estimated life care costs at this point are far in excess of $20 million....what I would give for a doc who was a little over cautious..
I am so sorry for what you have gone through.

I agree that the poster should be happy she has a healthy baby. Too many babies born breech have medical problems with delivery. My 3rd child was transverse and we did a planned C-section.

You need to consider other reasons for the back pain. Go see an othopedic doc. to get an evaluation, or a neurologist for them to check the spine.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">