• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Easements and Fencing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Joesnothome

What is the name of your state?VA
I purchased a lot from a developer and began having a home built on it. I was told by the builder that the lot contained only a small drainage easement only to discover later that the lot also contained a large utility easement. I was building a fence so I contacted the county engineers to verify the easements and what to do about a fence. They gave me some plat #'s to look up if I so desired, I did this but the plats showed only the drainage easement. I recontacted them and asked what the consequences would be if I put the fence up going into the easement that they suggested was there. They said that if they couldn't gain access to the easement or if the fence got in the way of the utilities making repairs or improvements then of course the offending sections would need to be taken down. I put the fence up going laterally into the easement and installed a 13 ft vehicle gate, I also ensured enough space between my fence and the underground cable that any equipment that might be needed to repair or improve that line would not be obstructed by the fence. I don't have a problem with having to take down portions for improvement or repair, but I would like to know where I should be able to find any easement material and although the electric company has the right to access the easement, the easement itself is still my property and I still may improve it as I deem without obstructing or preventing the electric company access?? Is this correct or not?

HomeGuru

Joesnothome said:
What is the name of your state?VA
I purchased a lot from a developer and began having a home built on it. I was told by the builder that the lot contained only a small drainage easement only to discover later that the lot also contained a large utility easement. I was building a fence so I contacted the county engineers to verify the easements and what to do about a fence. They gave me some plat #'s to look up if I so desired, I did this but the plats showed only the drainage easement. I recontacted them and asked what the consequences would be if I put the fence up going into the easement that they suggested was there. They said that if they couldn't gain access to the easement or if the fence got in the way of the utilities making repairs or improvements then of course the offending sections would need to be taken down. I put the fence up going laterally into the easement and installed a 13 ft vehicle gate, I also ensured enough space between my fence and the underground cable that any equipment that might be needed to repair or improve that line would not be obstructed by the fence. I don't have a problem with having to take down portions for improvement or repair, but I would like to know where I should be able to find any easement material and although the electric company has the right to access the easement, the easement itself is still my property and I still may improve it as I deem without obstructing or preventing the electric company access?? Is this correct or not?
**A: read your recorded easement agreements and get the access deal in writing from the electric co.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">