• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Filing for a Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kat30s

What is the name of your state? California

Hi all - you all have helped me a lot in the past, so hopefully I can get some good advice here. Currently my husband and I are separated, although not legally. He is still living at the home we have been renting, of which we are both on the lease. Can I send a certified letter to the landlord letting them know I will no longer be residing there and no longer responsible? We also have 2 vehicles in both our names, I will keep one and he will keep one. Can I also notify the finance company which cars we each will be responsible for? I am wondering if I can do this without there being any legal paperwork filed, or if I have to wait and include it in the divorce decree? Any help will be appreciated - thanks in advance.

By the way this would be an uncontested divorce, if that makes a difference.

LdiJ

kat30s said:
What is the name of your state? California

Hi all - you all have helped me a lot in the past, so hopefully I can get some good advice here. Currently my husband and I are separated, although not legally. He is still living at the home we have been renting, of which we are both on the lease. Can I send a certified letter to the landlord letting them know I will no longer be residing there and no longer responsible? We also have 2 vehicles in both our names, I will keep one and he will keep one. Can I also notify the finance company which cars we each will be responsible for? I am wondering if I can do this without there being any legal paperwork filed, or if I have to wait and include it in the divorce decree? Any help will be appreciated - thanks in advance.

By the way this would be an uncontested divorce, if that makes a difference.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news....but the landlord and the lenders on the cars will not be parties to your divorce and will not let either of you off the hook for the lease or the loans. In order to take care of the car loans you would each need to refinance the vehicle that you are keeping, into your own names.

There is nothing at all that you can do about the lease except hope that your husband pays the bills on time until the lease expires. You can notify the landlord that you are not to be included on any renewals, but that is all that you can do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">