• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my Fiance had Xanax on him & now a felony charge!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LiaS

What is the name of your state? Georgia

Hello! I would truly appreciate any help that anyone can give me!

I am in Spain studying right now and my fiance is home in Georgia...so here is the story as best I have been told.

Andrew (my fiance) was test driving a friends car to another city in our state and he check the lights and they WERE working and his friend says the car is insured.

So, at night...the tail lights stopped working and the cops pulled him over. He has dreads and looks like a hippie! They ran the insurance and said that they couldn't find it and they looked at his tongue and said because it had raised white bumps that he had been smoking pot and so they could search the car.

They asked if he had anything on him and he told them "a bowl" and he *meant* a bowl and a bowl's worth of pot...so they FOUND the pot and got angry that he hadn't told them about the pot...he also had $1800 on him because he owed people money in the city he was going to. The big problem is that he also had 2 Xanax on him (not prescribed to him!) for anxiety.
So that is a felony charge.

So, right now he has 3 traffic charges (lights, insurance, and something else I can't remember) and 3 drug charges (the pot, pipe, Xanax).

He is 19 and a first time offender. He thinks that if he can prove that the car is insured (one of the basis for their searching him) that the charges will be dropped...

Another big problem is that he has almost NO money to his name, no job right now, and he didn't do well in school for the last year...but he is trying now!

Do you have any idea of what steps he should be taking to fix this or what he can use as a defense or ANYTHING??
I am losing my mind here!

Thank you!!!
Any help is appreciated!

Lia :*(

rmet4nzkx

Lia,
If this is the best story you've been told, consider the truth to be much worse. There are too many issues to address here about what could happen. He needs to get a criminal defense attorney. You should take this as a sign that your realtionship is not to be and be glad that you are not pulled into it as you might be if you were there and concentrate on your studies.

snostar

Actually they could have searched the car because the white bumps on his tongue (which is often a result of the use of speed). And, it sounds like there was a good chance he had blood shot eyes and reeked of a suspecting aroma.

He needs an attorney, attacking the legallity of search may be completely worthless.

C

cyborg50

feel fortunate. homeguru is normally a much bigger a##hole. he let you off easy. i wouldn't put much faith in anything he has to say.

gryndor

cyborg50 said:
feel fortunate. homeguru is normally a much bigger a##hole. he let you off easy. i wouldn't put much faith in anything he has to say.
It was a legitimate question... Why the hell would anyone be engaged at 19?? It's beyond me.

(I was engaged at 18 and it was the biggest mistake of my life. Fortunately I got out of it before marriage was involved.)

Way to attack for no reason, jerk!

HomeGuru

cyborg50 said:
**A: wow, why are you spending time on this website when you should be figuring out how to get your meth lab adult son to pay for the $250,000 bond.
Yes, go right on ahead and support druggies.

Last edited:

AHA

LiaS said:
What is the name of your state? Georgia

Hello! I would truly appreciate any help that anyone can give me!

I am in Spain studying right now and my fiance is home in Georgia...so here is the story as best I have been told.

Andrew (my fiance) was test driving a friends car to another city in our state and he check the lights and they WERE working and his friend says the car is insured.

So, at night...the tail lights stopped working and the cops pulled him over. He has dreads and looks like a hippie! They ran the insurance and said that they couldn't find it and they looked at his tongue and said because it had raised white bumps that he had been smoking pot and so they could search the car.

They asked if he had anything on him and he told them "a bowl" and he *meant* a bowl and a bowl's worth of pot...so they FOUND the pot and got angry that he hadn't told them about the pot...he also had $1800 on him because he owed people money in the city he was going to. The big problem is that he also had 2 Xanax on him (not prescribed to him!) for anxiety.
So that is a felony charge.

So, right now he has 3 traffic charges (lights, insurance, and something else I can't remember) and 3 drug charges (the pot, pipe, Xanax).

He is 19 and a first time offender. He thinks that if he can prove that the car is insured (one of the basis for their searching him) that the charges will be dropped...

Another big problem is that he has almost NO money to his name, no job right now, and he didn't do well in school for the last year...but he is trying now!

Do you have any idea of what steps he should be taking to fix this or what he can use as a defense or ANYTHING??
I am losing my mind here!

Thank you!!!
Any help is appreciated!

Lia :*(
For me, who have lived a troubled free(legally at least) life for 3 decades, no defense is better than the truth.

outonbail

~~Andrew (my fiance) was test driving a friends car to another city~~
Test driving? To another city? Should we assume he was going to purchase this "friends" car, upon returning from the City he chose to "test drive" in?

~~he check the lights and they WERE working~~ Why do I get the feeling there is at least one dim bulb connected to the multi testing of this vehicle? ~~and his friend says the car is insured~~ OK, make that two glowing on dim!

~~So, at night...the tail lights stopped working~~ What are the odds? and at night even! You hardly ever hear of them failing during the daylight hours, when you're not even using them? I had an umbrella like this once. Although my testing was limited to the local community, I carried it around religiously, through months of sunny days and it worked flawlessly! Keeping me dry every time! Then the first rainy day comes along and the umbrella springs leaks all over,,,

~~and the cops pulled him over. He has dreads and looks like a hippie~~ Are you suggesting that the police completely missed the fact that he was a "friend's car test driver? from out of the area?
~~They asked if he had anything on him and he told them "a bowl" and he *meant* a bowl and a bowl's worth of pot~~Trust me, what he's meaning to say, is very clear! ~~he also had $1800 on him because he owed people money in the city he was going to~~ Simple coincidence, just hapenned to be in the area during a test drive that lasted into the night, where the light failure surfaced as soon as he was down to his last "bowl"? Hey, it happens!

~~The big problem is that he also had 2 Xanax on him (not prescribed to him!) for anxiety.
So that is a felony charge~~ The fact that he was down to his last bowl, should, be considered undeniable proof of his anxiety,,, But I wouldn't count too heavily on it from a defense standpoint.

~~So, right now he has 3 traffic charges (lights, insurance, and something else I can't remember) and 3 drug charges (the pot, pipe, Xanax)~~ Six good reasons everyone should consider "travelling light" whenever test driving a friends car out of town"

~~He thinks that if he can prove that the car is insured (one of the basis for their searching him) that the charges will be dropped~~ Perhaps, so for arguments sake, lets say they drop the driving without insurance charge? Well he's off to a good start, one down and five to go

~~Another big problem is that he has almost NO money to his name, no job right now, and he didn't do well in school for the last year...but he is trying now!~~ Hmmm, This actually is a problem, since unemployed people are hardly ever seen carrying large sums of cash on them while test driving cars they can't afford to purchase, in far away cities where live a couple friends he happens to owe money to! Your right on one account, he's now trying!

~~I am losing my mind here!~~ Actually, if you yourself consider any of the above mentioned details to be accurate, you're not losing your mind,,, it is already long gone.

I suggest you move on to bigger and better commitments in life and dump this story telling loser for good!

BTW, thanks for the post, I haven't had a laugh this good in years....

L

LiaS

wow guys...

Geez...I do appreciate the minimal help that I got...but somehow I thought this site was to help people with legal questions and not to bash them and doubt their relationships...I may be wrong...

We have been together for 5 years and have been bestfriends our whole lives...and he does not make it a habit of lying to me!

I am really glad that you guys got a good laugh...but this is my future and he is a big part of it. I knew he smoked pot and it is not a big deal to me...

If you are done ragging me and if anyone has any legitimate help...I would truly appreciate it because I have never been in trouble like this and have no idea what to do...otherwise...please, I do NOT need that kind of insult right now...I am already too upset.

Thank you,

Lia

AHA

LiaS said:
Geez...I do appreciate the minimal help that I got...but somehow I thought this site was to help people with legal questions and not to bash them and doubt their relationships...I may be wrong...

We have been together for 5 years and have been bestfriends our whole lives...and he does not make it a habit of lying to me!

I am really glad that you guys got a good laugh...but this is my future and he is a big part of it. I knew he smoked pot and it is not a big deal to me...

If you are done ragging me and if anyone has any legitimate help...I would truly appreciate it because I have never been in trouble like this and have no idea what to do...otherwise...please, I do NOT need that kind of insult right now...I am already too upset.

Thank you,

Lia
I'm sorry, but I'm not in the habit of giving people advise on how to cheat and find ways to get out of paying the price for their actions, my advise was for him to tell the truth and not try and come up with some bs story in hopes that the problem will go away. He has too many offenses to his name at once to be able to do that.I'm sorry that you felt that was useless advise. I won't give you any advise EVER again, but your bf is up the creek with no paddle, good luck with that.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Yup, he has no job, no money, and he's a druggie - and a soon-to-be convicted felon. Sounds like he's a "great catch" with which to share genetic code.

IAAL

rmet4nzkx

LiaS said:

I am really glad that you guys got a good laugh...but this is my future and he is a big part of it. The point is that you must examine your commitment now, have you heard of the term, ROI? That is Return on Investment? I knew he smoked pot and it is not a big deal to me... But it is against the law, whether or not you have a problem, as is dealing which is what he appears to be doing, along with a number of other things that won't go away and the whole story has too many holes. The only one who can help him is a criminal defense attorney. In the meantime YOU need to reevaluate your future?

Thank you,

Lia
You are not the one in trouble, at least you are safely away studying in Spain. The best advice anyone can give you is to reevaluate your relationship and consider this a lesson learned. It is not bashing you, sometimes the advice you need is not the advice you want to hear. In the words of Mick Jagger, "Sometimes you get what you want, sometimes you get what you need."

rmet4nzkx

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

Yup, he has no job, no money, and he's a druggie - and a soon-to-be convicted felon. Sounds like he's a "great catch" with which to share genetic code.

IAAL
Hopefully there is nothing to show for that "sharing" already.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">