• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Another ex-wife that won't refinance a house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Catek

I am located in South Carolina and I have a similar situation with my new husband (of 2 months). He is still on the mortgage of his former marital home. The ex-wife received the home in the divorce settlement and my husband signed a quitclaim deed on the thing so his name is off the deed.

How can he press to get his name off of the mortage? His ex doesn't work and keeps saying she is going to sell the house because she can't afford it, yet there has yet to be a For Sale sign go up in front of it.

He doesn't pay her alimony or child support (he paid her a lump sum alimony settlement and that is what she has been living on).

I keep telling him he needs to get off that mortage because if she falls behind on the payments, the bank will come after his butt. Plus it is still a liability on his personal financial statement.

Can't he go back to court and force her to either refinance this house in her name (not likely since she is "allergic" :eek: to getting a job) or sell the thing?
Thanks,
Cate

JETX

Catek said:
Can't he go back to court and force her to either refinance this house in her name (not likely since she is "allergic" :eek: to getting a job) or sell the thing?
What EXACTLY does the divorce decree say as to the mortgage and her obligation to remove him??

C

Catek

Thanks for getting back to me...
Nada, Nothing -- Didn't his attorney do well:rolleyes: The decree gave her the house and then he signed a quitclaim deed and was taken off the deed. Nothing about the assignment of the mortage in the decree. Sounds like more legal fees, huh?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">