• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Multiple shipments

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Shadow2005

What is the name of your state? Arkansas

My question is: If you place an order for a product from a large company. They send the product to you, then send you another one. Is there anything legal actions that they can do (even though it's probably not worth their time) if it was 100% their mistake for you recieving multiple products?

Edit: The company's terms of service make no mention of anything of this nature.

Last edited:

racer72

The company can sue you and will probably win. This of course can mess up your credit. The only obligation the company has is to pay for the shipping to return the product. And if you paid by credit card or authorized a payment from your checking account, they could just charge you for the second item. The only instances that would allow for you to keep the items would be if you did not order something and it was delivered to you. You have no legal right to keep the second item without paying for it.

S

Shadow2005

What if the company does not contact you for quite some time? Could they come back much later after they found their error?

JETX

Shadow2005 said:
What if the company does not contact you for quite some time? Could they come back much later after they found their error?
Yes. How much is 'much'??

S

Shadow2005

I'm not sure, that is why I am asking. I'm wondering how long would be a safe time to wait until doing anything with the other product.

JETX

Okay, lets play your little 'game'.... and I will make it VERY simple for you.
1) You have NO legal right to retain the item that was clearly sent to you in error.
2) They can pursue recovery of the item or its cost from you, very likely for a year or two.
3) The ONLY thing you can do to protect yourself, and to show you are a responsible mature adult, is to send them a very nice letter (Certified RRR) explaining that they shipped two of the items to you in error, and ask them to contact you within 30 days to recover THEIR merchandise. Include that if they don't contact you, then the item will be deemed abandoned and disposed of without any recourse. Keep copies of ALL correspondence, including proof of delivery. And though this is not in strict accordance with state abandonment laws, it could certainly help you if they were to consider taking any action against you in the future.

So, are you a mature, responsible adult??

S

Shadow2005

JETX said:
1) You have NO legal right to retain the item that was clearly sent to you in error.
What legal right do they have to do anything aside from kindly asking for it back? The second product arrived in a box from ups. There was no kind of note or anything in the box with it. The company's name is not present any where on the shipping box or the box the product arrived in.

I know of no laws or cases related to this inncident.

HomeGuru

Shadow2005 said:
What legal right do they have to do anything aside from kindly asking for it back? The second product arrived in a box from ups. There was no kind of note or anything in the box with it. The company's name is not present any where on the shipping box or the box the product arrived in.

I know of no laws or cases related to this inncident.

**A: good freaking grief. Stop playing games here. You know full well that the order sent to you was in error and you knew what company sent it to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">