• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Two birds ~ one stone

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

GoodBoyNow

MISSOURI

I signed a contract (25% of the take) for a lawyer to represent a work comp. case.
Going to an appointment one morning I am involved in auto accident.
I talk to my lawyer about it to get some advice on what to do.
He gets me to see a chiropractor friend of his for about 3 wks.
Once released from care, I call insurance co. to talk about settlement options.
Insurance guy informs me that he can not talk to me as I have hired representation (my work comp. lawyer). I never agreed to do that or sign a contract of any kind concerning the auto acc.

I contact lawyer, and he says he will send them notice of the matter.
I get a letter from insurance company saying that my lawyer has released himself from this matter and has attached a lien of 1/3 towards the settlement.
I call insurance company and according to them it looks like he was my lawyer and now he is not. So they consider the lien valid.

He apparently gave notice of representation and then gave then notice of the reverse. So to them it looks like he was MY GUY.

Can he attach himself to 1/3 of this settlement when he never was "attached"?

If not, what are my options....please dont say hire attorney

rmet4nzkx

He did give you legal advice/representation and you went to see the Chiropractor, so whether or not you had a signed contract you did willingly enter into an oral agreement but this may also conflict with your other representation by the same attorney. Call your local Bar Association and ask about their ethical rules regarding such situations and they may be able to resolve this for you.

G

GoodBoyNow

I agree with this man getting some compensation for his time.

But 1/3 of a settlement with no valid contract.
He signed up for 1/4 for my work comp. case and now comes up with this 1/3 lien.

thanks for your answer ....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">