• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bladder rRupture

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tonice

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NJ
What is the name of your state? NJ :)
On September 8, 2004, I went into the hospital to have cystourethroscopy and a deliberate bladder distension. I had been diagnosed with interstestial cystitis 2 years ago. The urologist did the same procedure he did in '02. When I came out of the anesthsia, i was screaming that my bladder and right lower quadrant had excruisiating pain. a nurse near me kept telling me that it was b/c of the distension and i was having spasms. i kept rubbing the area with a warm towel they gave me. after a few minutes, i was injected with pain medicine - which did not help - they then gave me a shot of morphine. the doctor told me that he wanted me to stay overnight b/c i had diffuse petechial hemorrhages. he wanted me on bladder irrigation for observation. i had a morphine pump for the pain. The next day the bleeding had stopped, but i still had the abdominal pain. After the nurse took the foley out of me, I was discharged by another doctor in the urology group. I had told that doctor that my abdomen hurt - he said it would b/c of the procedure. i then went home to rest. my doctor called me later in the evening to see how i was doing. I told him i had bladder pain abdominal pain. he thought it was post-op pain. during the night i awoken with severe pain in my abdomen, particularly on the right side. i had no bowel sounds. first thing in the morning i called my doctor and he asked if i could get to his office. i did so and he immediately put a catherer in. he sent me to the ER to be admitted and told me he wanted to rule out possible bladder rupture. I had a CT scan immediately and it showed that I had an extraperitoneal rupture of the bladder on the right side with extravasation of contrast in the pelvis. The doctor suggested a conservative program of a morphine pump, hospitalization for a few days, antibiotics, and long-term indwelling Foley cathereization for one month follwed by a cystogram prior to my voiding trial and then another bladder scan. he told my family and myself that the majority of extraperitoneal bladder rupture are effectively managed non-operatively. .. on this upcoming wednesday i go to have my cystogram and then on Friday, hopefully, the removal of the foley. .. my question, is the doctor responsible for the rupture and is there a case?
Thank you,
Tonice :confused:

ellencee

Tonice
Rupture of the bladder is not supposed to happen, though it is a risk of the procedure. The risk is higher with the rigid scope rather than the flexible scope.

When you complained of severe pain, it seems reasonable to expect the MD to x-ray your abdomen to see if the contrast medium was present outside of the bladder.

It is possible that you should not have to pay for any of the additional hospital costs, medication costs, etc. and you may be entitled to some compensation for needless pain and suffering. I doubt the total damages would be enough to pay an attorney to bring a medmal suit against the MD. The best method may be to speak with your physician and ask him what he and the hospital are willing to do for you.

If you develop further problems or suffer significant damages (above what you have stated), then you may want to speak with a medmal attorney in your area. It wouldn't be a bad idea to consult with an attorney, anyway. The statute of limitations has started running (most likely); so don't waste any time in consulting with an attorney, if that is what you choose to do.

EC

Tonice

Ruptured Bladder

EC,
Thank you for your knowledgeable advice. On wednesday I go for a cystogram and we will see if the rupture has healed. i will let you know the outcome; and, i shall begin to look for a medmal attorney in my area.

Thanks,
Tonice

J

joeyblow

Rupture is a known complication of the procedure and is probably listed as a possible adverse effect on the informed consent you signed. Its occurrence is not in and of itself an indication of malpractice. Unless there is clear evidence that it was caused by an error by the physician, you have no case.

Furthermore, you would have incurred the extra cost of managing this complication whether or not it had been detected prior to discharge. There is no reason why you should not have to pay for your necessary care just because the condition was detected the next day.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">