• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I want to keep my house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mollymoo

What is the name of your state? MO
I've been married almost 35 years. His past haunts him with depression and anger. I sometimes fear for my life. One child still living at home (16). If I file for divorce will I loose the house we live in? I work, he doesn't - he draws disability and pension.

LdiJ

mollymoo said:
What is the name of your state? MO
I've been married almost 35 years. His past haunts him with depression and anger. I sometimes fear for my life. One child still living at home (16). If I file for divorce will I loose the house we live in? I work, he doesn't - he draws disability and pension.
If you can afford the house on your own, and you have the means to pay him his share of the equity (or can refinance in your own name in order to do that) then mostly likely you could keep the house.

If you can't do that, but he CAN, then he most likely would get the house.

If neither of you can do that, then the house would have to be sold and the equity split between the two of you.

If both of you can do that, and both of you want the house. Then its up to the judge, however the house would most likely go to whomever recieves custody of the teenager.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">