• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Urinating in Public - Consequences (NJ)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sebguy

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New Jersey

I was given a summons ticket for urinating in public, and the matching code on the back lists it as a $250 fine. However, the ticket also mentions that a court apperance is required.

What are the consequences of this ticket? Will this go on my permanent record, and could it have any negative effects in my future? Why can't I just pay the fine and avoid the whole mess in court? Will the judge possible stick me with something else besides just the fine?

Any advice on what I should do? Get a lawyer?

Thanks for helping.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

sebguy said:

I was given a summons ticket for urinating in public, and the matching code on the back lists it as a $250 fine. However, the ticket also mentions that a court apperance is required.

What are the consequences of this ticket? Will this go on my permanent record, and could it have any negative effects in my future? Why can't I just pay the fine and avoid the whole mess in court? Will the judge possible stick me with something else besides just the fine?

Thanks for helping.

My response:

Yes, get a lawyer. That way, there will be one more person hysterically laughing at you in court when the charges are read out loud!

IAAL

rmet4nzkx

sebguy said:

Thanks for helping.
Yes, they can charge you with additional charges so an attorney is advised.
If you didn't mind taking a leak in public, why shouldn't you appear in court, apparently you have little left unexposed?
If your offense involved alcohol consumption, I would suggest joining AA or some similar organization before you are court ordered in addition to getting an attorney.
Also learn the phrase, "May I please use your bathroom before I leave?" or some such phrase.

S

sebguy

Yea I made a mistake...I've been reciting the phrase "Excuse me, where's the bathroom?" every night before bed and I think it's slowly catching on :p

So what else could they possibly charge me with and how bad can this get? I originally didn't think it would be anyting more serious than a fine, but I'm starting to get a little worried now. Will this go on any sort of permanent record that could hurt me in the future?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">