• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Undisclosed crack in foundation=MOLD

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sickofmold

What is the name of your state?ks

My husband and I recently purchased a home and the disclosure does state that there was "a leak around sewer pipe, dug down and fixed with silicone, should work". So, we figured it was a minor repair and no big deal. The house had been vacant for a year (per the realtor, actual time vacant was 7 years per the mailman) and smelled a little musty. We figured after opening some windows and tearing out old carpet that would take care of it. It didn't. We went to the basement where he fixed the sewer "leak" and pulled back the wainscotting and found a substantial amount of mold. After further investigation it contaminated half the sheetrock in the basement. After tearing out the sheetrock and seeing the actual foundation, we found a crack that goes from ground level all the way to the floor of the basement, it is above, around, and below the sewer line. What the seller didn't disclose was the crack, which still leaks, which resulted in a whole lot of mold. My family has been sick ever since we moved in (a month ago). Is he responsible?? He specifically answered "no" to the question that asks about past/present cracks in the foundation. And we know he knew about it because there is black silicone up and down the crack.... Any help would be appreciated...

HomeGuru

sickofmold said:
What is the name of your state?ks

My husband and I recently purchased a home and the disclosure does state that there was "a leak around sewer pipe, dug down and fixed with silicone, should work". So, we figured it was a minor repair and no big deal. The house had been vacant for a year (per the realtor, actual time vacant was 7 years per the mailman) and smelled a little musty. We figured after opening some windows and tearing out old carpet that would take care of it. It didn't. We went to the basement where he fixed the sewer "leak" and pulled back the wainscotting and found a substantial amount of mold. After further investigation it contaminated half the sheetrock in the basement. After tearing out the sheetrock and seeing the actual foundation, we found a crack that goes from ground level all the way to the floor of the basement, it is above, around, and below the sewer line. What the seller didn't disclose was the crack, which still leaks, which resulted in a whole lot of mold. My family has been sick ever since we moved in (a month ago). Is he responsible?? He specifically answered "no" to the question that asks about past/present cracks in the foundation. And we know he knew about it because there is black silicone up and down the crack.... Any help would be appreciated...
**A: Please post in the real estate forum.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">