• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ticket On A Holiday? Contra Costa County CA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

shisha44

I live in San Ramon California. I park my car on the street in front of my house. Every Monday I must find another place to park between 7:00 AM and 12:00 PM because of street sweeping. There are signs that are posted that state that you will be ticketed during this time if you are parked EXCEPT on Holidays. Today is Columbus Day. It is considered a federal holiday. The banks are closed, the post office is closed. Yet I look out my window and see the cop putting a ticket on my car. I ask him why he is giving me a ticket on a holiday and he replies "Today is a holiday???" I tell him it's Columbus Day, and he says, "Well, nobody gets Columbus Day off." Fine. But it's still a holiday! Is this something I should fight or am I out of luck? And I wasn't alone either, my next door neighbor also received a ticket thinking he wouldn't because of the holiday. Happy Columbus Day!

racer72

It's only a federal holiday for federal employees and those that wish to observe it. If it's not a holiday where you live, the ticket is valid. There are only 6 holidays recognized for everyone, New Years Day, Memorial Day, Independance Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. All others are optional. That is why I have only had 4 paid holidays so far this year, I have to work all the secondary holidays. Pay the ticket.

HomeGuru

shisha44 said:
I live in San Ramon California. I park my car on the street in front of my house. Every Monday I must find another place to park between 7:00 AM and 12:00 PM because of street sweeping. There are signs that are posted that state that you will be ticketed during this time if you are parked EXCEPT on Holidays. Today is Columbus Day. It is considered a federal holiday. The banks are closed, the post office is closed. Yet I look out my window and see the cop putting a ticket on my car. I ask him why he is giving me a ticket on a holiday and he replies "Today is a holiday???" I tell him it's Columbus Day, and he says, "Well, nobody gets Columbus Day off." Fine. But it's still a holiday! Is this something I should fight or am I out of luck? And I wasn't alone either, my next door neighbor also received a ticket thinking he wouldn't because of the holiday. Happy Columbus Day!

**A: did you know that Columbus really was not the first to discover America?

rmet4nzkx

State and federal offices are closed but city offices are open and parking enforced, all bay area transit are running a normal schedule, this is not a holiday for everyone. If you had a quesiton about whether or not the holiday counted for street sweeping or not you should have either called the city ahead of time or simply parked elsewhere as usual. The other option you have is to take a picture of the sign and see if it lists holidays or gives a number to call and also check to see if the street is swept today or not, either you will see the sweeper come by or the city can confirm for you. If, the sign does not state clearly or give inforamtion to confirm and the street isn't swept, you might be able to fight it.

S

shisha44

racer72 said:
It's only a federal holiday for federal employees and those that wish to observe it. If it's not a holiday where you live, the ticket is valid. There are only 6 holidays recognized for everyone, New Years Day, Memorial Day, Independance Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. All others are optional. That is why I have only had 4 paid holidays so far this year, I have to work all the secondary holidays. Pay the ticket.
Well, I'm sorry you have to work on this beautiful day, but I have always received it off through my work. Maybe that is why I didn't realize everyone else had to work. And just so you know, I have lived at this residence for 5 years and have never had a ticket issued to me before when it was any holiday that falls on a Monday, Christmas or Columbus. Have a nice day sir.

racer72

My employer offers a bit of a bonus for working all the secondary holidays, we get 2 weeks of paid holiday wrapped around Christmas and New Years.

CdwJava

Each city and county may recognize different Holidays depending on counsel/board decisions and cotractual obligations with their labor organizations.

I would think that you might have good grounds to contest the parking cite and win - especially if you had the day off ... even though that is not true for many other employers.

- Carl

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
"There are only 6 holidays recognized for everyone, New Years Day, Memorial Day, Independance Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. All others are optional. "

Actually, as far as the law for private employers is concerned, ALL of the above are optional. At one time in my life I worked in a hotel, and I worked all of the above days except Christmas, and there were people working Christmas - I was just lucky that it fell on my day off that year.

State and municipal law determine what holidays state and municipal employees receive.

But it is correct that only Federal employees are guaranteed Federal holidays.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">