• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Burial Laws MA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jcogswell

What is the name of your state? My mother passed away in a car accident in MA this June, 2004. We buried my mother in our family burial plot. There were 6 plots purchased by my grandmother just before her death and the deed to these plots are in my grandmother's name. My 2nd stepfather whom my mother was married to at the time of her death is being charged with her death as he was the one driving the vehicle. (He is being charged with a misdemeanor offense until they get the toxicology report back.) Being that this was my mother's 3rd marriage as well as her husband's and they were only married for 4 years, he has taken the stance that eveything that was hers is now his, leaving my bother and I with nothing. We wanted to have my mother's maiden name along with her married name placed on the headstone and my stepfather didn't want any headstone at all. We found out the day of th funeral that a family headstone was purchased so that the names of all six plot occupancies would go there. We requested from the cemetery that nothing be put on the headstone until the appointment of administrator had gone through. We notified them of this 2 weeks after her death. They indicated that they would wait knowing that there was a pending appointment. We just found out today that not only did my stepfather have her name ingraved on the family headstone without her maiden name, but that he had his name engraved also. My q's is does he have a legal right that supercedes the other rightful decendants of my grandmother to be buried in my family's plot when the three remaining plots are for our family members, therefore leaving one of our family members the right to be buried with their family members to allow for him to be buried there? There is my uncle, myself and my brother who are the rightful decendants to the burial plot under my grandmother. We are greatly concerned especially because he is being charged with her death.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">