• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Auto purchased by husband-loan & title in wife's name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Rose 1

What is the name of your state? ILLINOIS

We are senior citizens. We married in Aug '03. He traded his pickup for a '99 auto in Nov '03. He talked to saleslady at the dealership which is approx 55 miles from our home who he knew from former purchases and who he trusted and was told she had this nice auto. I went with him and he said he wanted it even without test driving it. While talking to the dealer about financing, he was going to finance it thru a bank but the dealer gave him a better offer thru their lender. My husband said it maybe would not go thru since he had filed bankruptcy a few years ago before we married so either the dealer or my husband said it would probably work if it was put in my name. Only being married three months, I knew if I would say "no" he would think I didn't trust him so I said "ok" as long as I didn't have to make payments cause I could not afford them since I was still trying to sell my home and had a lot of debt myself and was driving a twelve year old auto which wasn't in very good shape. So I signed the loan and the title, my name only. He made the payments thru July '04 and also had his insurance company insure it. Last of July, he told me he didn't want our marriage any longer so I told him he needed to get the car loan put in his name and he said I should call the lender. I first called the dealer and they said it may not be able to be done and gave me the name of the lender. I told my husband I still needed to look into something and that was to make sure that if it was put in his name, he wouldn't make me take over payments and if they wouldn't put it in his name, the only thing I could do would be to sell it. That made him very mad and he ended up bringing the car to my home and leaving it, since we were living separately by then, and he told me the payments and car were mine. I did not want the car and could not afford it anyhow so tried to sell it and all I could get for it was 6,300.00. The amount owed was over 8,600.00 so I had to get a loan for 2,300.00 to pay it off. He had complete use of the car and I never considered it mine. He offered it to me to use just once to drive out of town. Now that he's planning to get a divorce, is it possible for me to get him to pay, hopefully the 2,300.00 back to me or for sure at least half of that?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">