• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help with Non-paying client

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jake88

What is the name of your state?

Vancouver, BC Canada

Hello everyone

I am new to this forum and was hoping someone you can help me out. I have a freelance company that deals with graphic design. 6 months ago I did a large job for a company that was making some products related to the NHL. I had finished the design...6 months ago and have not been able to collect from the company as yet. I keep getting excuses from the owner every time I try and collect. So here is what I was thinking:

1) Register a complaint with the credit Bureau
2) put a lien on his products

So here is my question

1) If I put a lien on his products, does it make it harder for him to sell them? If so how?

2) how would I go about putting a lien on his products?

Any help would be great. Any advice for Canadian Law would be great, but I would also like to know how to deal with it in the USA (WA state)

Thank you

Dandy Don

Are you registered as a business in Canada?

Do you have a signed contract that shows and agreement and a rate for your services?

The US has small claims courts for cases like this, but I don't know what Canada has. You really need to consult with a business law attorney in your area for advice about how to proceed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">