• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

property line

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

concernedinmn

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? MN

I have a question regarding property lines.
I have lived on a lake in MN for 13 years. I have a neighbor that is in the process of selling his property and dividing it into 3 pieces. The last piece that he is selling is my concern. After it was surveyed we found out that my storage shed is on his property. I bought the shed with the house 13 years ago...it is more like a one car garage than a storage shed. I have also maintained the land in front of the garage going down to the lakeshore, and that is where my dock sits, which is on their property. The previous land owner had the dock in the same spot. I bought this for that piece of lakeshore. The rest of my lakeshore is in low marshy land. The shed has been there for a long time, and I was told when I bought the property that it was my shed, and I have always used it. The neighbor has mentioned a couple of times that they thought the shed was on their property, but I never did anything about it. I have asked to buy this piece of property, but they are selling to some firends of theirs and not interested in selling to me

What are my options at this time? Is there anyway I can keep this land in front of my garage, and the lakeshore property where my garage sits?

Concerned in MN

FarmerJ

Your going to have to consult with a real estate atty . Since qwest sold the yellow page listings the phone books that are often available for those with in metro dialing ( or qwest owned exchanges ) just STINK and most of the independant phone co here have partial listings and its a joke using them . I have 7 different phone books to cover listings with in 30 to 40 miles of me .and I am only one step outside the metro dialing area too . You would be better off using the links up top and locating a real estate atty through this site .

C

concernedinmn

OK I need to consult with an attorney, but is there some way I can stop the sale? Can I force them to sell to me? and under what circuumstances? I would like to do some research before talking to an attorney I am not sure, but would eminent domain be an option, or adverse posession? Not that I am going to do that but i am looking for some leverage for them to sell to me.

HomeGuru

concernedinmn said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? MN

I have a question regarding property lines.
I have lived on a lake in MN for 13 years. I have a neighbor that is in the process of selling his property and dividing it into 3 pieces. The last piece that he is selling is my concern. After it was surveyed we found out that my storage shed is on his property. I bought the shed with the house 13 years ago...it is more like a one car garage than a storage shed. I have also maintained the land in front of the garage going down to the lakeshore, and that is where my dock sits, which is on their property. The previous land owner had the dock in the same spot. I bought this for that piece of lakeshore. The rest of my lakeshore is in low marshy land. The shed has been there for a long time, and I was told when I bought the property that it was my shed, and I have always used it. The neighbor has mentioned a couple of times that they thought the shed was on their property, but I never did anything about it. I have asked to buy this piece of property, but they are selling to some firends of theirs and not interested in selling to me

What are my options at this time? Is there anyway I can keep this land in front of my garage, and the lakeshore property where my garage sits?

Concerned in MN
**A: you are out of luck since you did not get a survey when you bought.

C

concernedinmn

you are out of luck since you did not get a survey when you bought.

So there is nothing I can do, what about the shed? I was told when I bought the house that it was mine if they want to can they take that from me? would eminent domain or adverse posession come into play on that?

HomeGuru

concernedinmn said:
you are out of luck since you did not get a survey when you bought.

So there is nothing I can do, what about the shed? I was told when I bought the house that it was mine if they want to can they take that from me?

**A: then whomever told you htat was not telling the truth. Only a survey would be able to confirm the legal property boundaries. Why did you not get a survey before you bought the property?

would eminent domain

**A: of course not.
or adverse posession come into play on that?
**A: read the MN AP law then post back with what you have found.

C

concernedinmn

No action for the recovery of real estate or the possession
thereof shall be maintained unless it appears that the
plaintiff, the plaintiff's ancestor, predecessor, or grantor,
was seized or possessed of the premises in question within 15
years before the beginning of the action.

Such limitations shall not be a bar to an action for the
recovery of real estate assessed as tracts or parcels separate
from other real estate, unless it appears that the party
claiming title by adverse possession or the party's ancestor,
predecessor, or grantor, or all of them together, shall have
paid taxes on the real estate in question at least five
consecutive years of the time during which the party claims
these lands to have been occupied adversely.

The provisions of paragraph two shall not apply to actions
relating to the boundary line of lands, which boundary lines are
established by adverse possession, or to actions concerning
lands included between the government or platted line and the
line established by such adverse possession, or to lands not
assessed for taxation.

I believe this is the statue

the confusing part is paragraph 3. does this mean that I do not have to pay taxes to adversly possess the land?

when does the 15 years start? the way I read it is that it started with the party that was in the home before I was? is that correct?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">