• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seperation Question about Health issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

emmeyjade

What is the name of your state? Texas
My dad is seperated from his wife. They were married in March 2004 and seperated in August 2004. She doesn't want to talk to him or have anything to do with him. Now she is having medical problems and possibly colon cancer. My dad found this out from his pastor's wife not her directly. I'm worried because I know the state of Texas says you must have insurance for your spouse if they don't have insurance and your do through your company. He doesn't have health insurance on her and she has no insurance. Another thing that worries me is if this cancer takes her life he will be held responsible for her burial expenses and all her other expenses since they are still legally married.
What is the law concerning seperation and health problems or death of a spouse?

Neither of them have filed for divorce as of now.

Thank you,
Worried Daughter

VeronicaGia

Then he needs to file for divorce. During the process, he must continue to provide health insurance unless a judge orders otherwise. Since TX is a community property state, he could be held responsible for all medical costs if something happens while they are married.

Tell him to get to an attorney and file.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">