• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I May have a Bad Lawyer???????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

EBONY C

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Akansas
I have recently been going through a malpractice suit with a lawyer in Mississippi. The case has not gone to court yet, and it has been at least a year and a half of going through the works. My lawyer just notified me of the costs that I will be responsible for. He is wanting to get 38% of the recovery and he is wanting to rcv. compensation for expenses that is associated with the prosecution of the suit. I understand the 38% off top, but why should there be additional charges,if the 38% is the cost for the lawyer. Basically, I will be responsible for 38% and once that has been paid, I will be responsible for all other charges that was associated with the suit. (DOUBLE CHARGE)!!!!

Please help!!!

Ebony

ellencee

This should have been part of your contract from the very beginning. What were the terms of your initial agreement?
EC

vrzirn

Your attorney is correct; the 38% is his FEE.
COSTS are other items for which you are responsible. These include filing costs, postage, faxes, money paid for expert witnesses, letters, deposition costs, costs for records, etc. They do not come out of his fee.

Are lawyers gets 40% and that's it!!!!!!!!!

The lawyers me and my wife have said 40% ( which is the rate around here ) plus the expert free. They never once said anything about charging for faxes, filing costs, postage, letters, depostion cost, cost for records, or etc. That's why they get anywhere from 30 to 45% of what you're awarded. That's why there so picky on what cases they take. As for the record you can get your first copy free for your lawyer which if they were smart they would have you get them for you. It sounds like this lawyer is greedy. All but the expert witnesses which you have to pay for. This should have been in the contract that you sign with this lawyer. You might want to read over the contract you signed. This lawyer might be taken it to you.

J

joeyblow

What do you expect? You're dealing with a lawyer. You will get screwed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">