• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fence access question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

trainlover

What is the name of your state? SC

I have not found my exact scenario when searching previous posts. My neighbor currently has a chain link fence that is currently on the property line. On my side of the property are trees and shrubs with ivey growing along the ground and in the trees. He wants to remove the current fence and put up a wooden or vinyl fence. However he wants me to trim any trees that might touch his fence and get rid of the ivy as he does not want it growing on the fence. He also wants me to provide access to the fence for cleaning which is not currently possible due to the growth. I feel that if he wants to be able to clean the fence, he should put it far enough on his property to provide access. What are my obligations?

BelizeBreeze

Your scenario has been on this forum too many times.

If your neighbor wants to put up a new fence that's his right. If he wants to put it on the property line that's also his right.

If he wants you to trim the tree and bushes AND have access to your property so he can care for HIS fence, he's out of luck.

Tell him to put the fence two fee inside the property line and he can do what he wants with the fence. Otherwise, you are not obligated to allow him access.

As for the trimming, you are responsible for everything up to the property line. HE is responsible for everything over the line and falling on his side.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">