• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Caught Shoplifting at Place of Employment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

a.j.l.

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New York.

I was caught shoplifting at Kaufmann's, a Filene's department store.
I worked there, and at the end of my shift, I put some items into a bag and was searched upon leaving the store. I was fired.

They did not contact authorities, but I don't know what to expect. This happened on August 30th. Will I be red-flagged and unable to get a job elsewhere? Do I have a right to see what's been written about me?
Also- will I be billed for security expenses? I'm just confused and scared-- also feeling very guilty. I'm a 19 year old college student. Will this have reverberations that will affect post-college employment? Again: I wasn't sent to the police, but I was fired. So I don't have a criminal record, but I do have a bad employment record.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
"Will I be red-flagged and unable to get a job elsewhere?"

There is no general data base that contains everyone's job history and why they left or were fired from each position. So there's nothing to red-flag. However, many employers will ask why you left your last position, and MAY (I am not saying will) eliminate you from consideration when you tell them. So, I hear you saying, what happens if I don't tell them, or don't put down that position on my application. If they don't ever find out, nothing. But if they ever do find out (and it is MUCH easier for an employer to find this out than you might think) it's grounds for immediate termination. You are much better off telling the truth from the outset. Many employers will forgive a single youthful indiscretion. Few will tolerate lying.

"Do I have a right to see what's been written about me? "

Neither Federal nor NY law requires an employer to show the employee what is in their personnel file. It is entirely up to the employer whether or not to do so. You can ask to see your file, but if they say no, that's legal.

"Also- will I be billed for security expenses?"

Quite unlikely. If this happened on August 30th, you'd most likely have heard by now if your employer was going to charge you anything.

"Will this have reverberations that will affect post-college employment? "

Not necessarily, but it's possible, depending on what field you plan to go into. If you were planning a career in retail marketing, I'd put those plans on hold. If you were planning to go into TV production, or insurance sales, or hotel management, you may be fine.

Again, you don't have to volunteer any information to a prospective employer that they don't ask for. But if they ask why you left your last position, TELL THEM. DO NOT lie. That is just as likely as a single shoplifting incident to affect your employment status.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">