• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful death judgement arising from criminal act paid by auto or renters insurance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

ShrimpBurrito

What is the name of your state? Arkansas

1) Most liability policies I have seen specifically exclude coverage for criminal acts, or acts committed by the insured with intention to cause harm. Has anyone seen an auto or renter's policy that does not have such an exclusion?

2) Has anyone seen a rider in a renters policy that provides liability protection to the insured in the event the insured suffers harm from an uninsured party? (An uninsured motorists clause of sorts, but for a renters policy.)

3) Has anyone seen uninsured motorists coverage on an auto policy that provides protection to the insured from harm resulting from an act that does not involve a vehicle?

Thanks for your replies.

stephenk

1. no.

2. (property) renter's coverage does not make a difference who causes the damage (insured or uninsured). if your property is damaged by someone who is not insured, you just make the claim with your own carrier.

3. no.

S

ShrimpBurrito

Thanks for your reply.

In reference to #2, I'm talking about personal injury, not a property loss.

S

ShrimpBurrito

Interesting. Let me make sure I understand what you are saying. Let's say John Doe comes to my house and causes me physical harm. He has no liability coverage of any kind. Are you saying that my renters policy, by virtue of providing liability coverage to me, owes me a settlement?

That how I'm interpreting your responses to my question #2.

S

ShrimpBurrito

That's what I thought. Thanks everyone for your comments.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">