• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help - What should I do about this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

qwer9182

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I am a college student who commutes to school. My car is actually the property of my parents, and the car's license plates are registered under my mother's name. They are very bad when it comes to renewing their license plates and despite several times asking they let the plates (including those on the car I drive) expire. Today, I was pulled over and given a ticket for having expired license plates.

I want to know if I am ultimately responsible for this and have to assume points on my driving record. I tried explaining that I was driving somebody else's car whose registration I cannot control. Will I have any chance of success if I take this to an informal hearing?

CdwJava

Get mom to correct the registration and you bring the corrected registration to court when you go. Failure to do so could be bad and may eventually result in the impound of the vehicle.

- Carl

qwer9182

Does this mean that I'll have a chance? I feel so bad about this...

Should my mom put the car's registration in my name, or just make sure that it is current in hers?

Please tell me what I need to know and that I need to do to prepare for this. My mother is admitting fault to this, so is there a way she can do that?

HomeGuru

qwer9182 said:
What is the name of your state? Ohio

I am a college student who commutes to school. My car is actually the property of my parents, and the car's license plates are registered under my mother's name. They are very bad when it comes to renewing their license plates and despite several times asking they let the plates (including those on the car I drive) expire. Today, I was pulled over and given a ticket for having expired license plates.

I want to know if I am ultimately responsible for this and have to assume points on my driving record. I tried explaining that I was driving somebody else's car whose registration I cannot control. Will I have any chance of success if I take this to an informal hearing?

**A: this is entirely your fault since you could have easily paid and renewed.

CdwJava

qwer9182 said:
Does this mean that I'll have a chance? I feel so bad about this...

Should my mom put the car's registration in my name, or just make sure that it is current in hers?

Please tell me what I need to know and that I need to do to prepare for this. My mother is admitting fault to this, so is there a way she can do that?
Personally, if it were me, I would sign the car over to my child to avoid any civil liability resulting from any misuse of the car. But, lacking that, it is perfectly acceptable for her to register it again in her name.

My guess is that if you bring current and valid registration to court you will be okay.

- Carl

qwer9182

I was talking with someone who suggested that my ticket actually might just be a 'citation' since there is no fine associated with it. If this is the case, is it worth contesting? If it isn't a ticket, how long will the 'warning' be on my record for?

Isn't my mom responsible for registration of the car? Should she be signing and sending in the ticket or coming to court?

CdwJava

What is there to contest? You were driving a car without proper registration. Ultimately, it may well be the registered owner's responsibility, but if it is NOT taken care of it CAN come back to bite you.

If you fight it, what is your defense? The ONLY defense would be that the vehicle WAS registered ... which you admit it was not.

Is it that difficult for mom to register the vehicle and for you to bring the registration to court?!? These things are typically "fix-it" violations in most states and hold a minimum fine or processing fee if corrected.

- Carl

qwer9182

I don't want to contest that the car was registered, but that I should not be the one responsible for letting the registration lapse. My mother also wants to claim responsibility for this.

Well, the car is now being re-registered so that the registration is current. If I take the new registration information to the court will anything still be held against me or put on my record? Do I need to go at the specified time on the ticket or just anytime before? I want to know what to do to keep my record clean.

Last edited:

qwer9182

When my mother was re-registering the car she asked about the ticket and was told that nothing would go on my record for this, only that we would have to pay a $65 fine. Does this sound correct?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">