• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Direct sales--suing for $5k for selling inventory?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ktlcorn

What is the name of your state? Nebraska

Several years ago I was a consultant for Creative Memories. It is a direct sales scrapbook company. Creative Memories is somewhat unique because you purchase and carry inventory. Most direct sales companies allow you to order when you make a sale so that you do not have inventory. I deactivated in 2000. My contract stated I was not allowed to sell my inventory online and if I was caught doing so, even after deactivation, they would sue for $5k with arbitration in the state of Minnesota.

I have held on to my inventory in fear of their wrath. However, some medical emergencies have sapped our cash reserves and I need to sell things to pay the medical bills. Does Creative Memories have a leg to stand on if I decide to sell my remaining inventory on Ebay? Ebay is the best hope for the best return. I hate to see several hundred dollars worth of inventory I'll never use just sitting there. I've heard through the grapevine that they can't really enforce this part of the contract. I legally own the merchandise and can they dictate how I dispose of it now that our legal relationship has been dissolved over 5 years ago?

Thank you,
Christy

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">