• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

please help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

da_poet

What is the name of your state? wa

Hi, I would like to join the us navy but my wife is an illegal citizen/here with out permission. Will this pervent me from joining the navy? and if so do i have any rights about the matter? I have spoke to many people, and i just keep on hearing "i dont know" and this is from government employees. :confused:
thank u so much.

D

da_poet

I have looked all over the internet,and spoke to some more people today and i have still not found any law or policy that would provent me from joining.
can someone please...... help me with some documentation or advice.

thanks.

CdwJava

Your wife's status will probably NOT prevent YOU from joining. However, her status may cause some problems for you when/if she attempts to secure benefits or base housing. The military is likely to be a little uneasy about providing aid to illegal aliens. And this could prevent you from obtaining any security clearances - thus limiting your chances for improvement in the services.

And, if you are married, why can't she become a citizen? or at least a legal alien?

- Carl

D

da_poet

thanks for tha advice and your prompt response.

My recuiter seems to not know what he is doing. Do you know who i can get a hold of, to get a direct anwser?Im at the mecy of what he say's and his commanding officer which is all speckulation.

thanks.

CdwJava

Why can't she become a citizen if the two of you ARE legally married? Wouldn't that solve all your problems?

And if you are NOT married, then it's not an issue unless you bring her on to base.

- Carl

D

da_poet

In order for her to became a citizen, she would have to go back to here country and apply for citizenship there. Which could take up to 12years and she would have to live there and not come back until she got permission to enter,which could void all paperwork if she entered without it .Now she could be sponserd by someone and get a work permit,but then again she would have to enter legally and and stay there until so, and that would take about 3 to 5 years .I have heard this from lawyers and a couple friends that ran into the same problem.

thanks

Last edited:

CdwJava

da_poet said:
In order for her to became a citizen, she would have to go back to here country and apply for citizenship there. Which could take up to 12years and she would have to live there and not come back until she got permission to enter,which could void all paperwork if she entered without it .Now she could be sponserd by someone and get a work permit,but then again she would have to enter legally and and stay there until so, and that would take about 3 to 5 years .I have heard this from lawyers and a couple friends that ran into the same problem.

thanks
So ... you are NOT legally married, then?

That can present a number of problems for the military. I doubt it would prevent you from joining, but it WILL prevent her from accessing base facilities and prevent her from getting posted with you overseas. Plus, if you are somehow shielding her from the repercussions of illegal entry, that could result in your dismissal from the service if it comes to light.

- Carl

D

da_poet

you all know my problem.who should i speak to for a direct answer?my recuiter is telling me "no" and the employees at meps dont know.
you would think the folks at meps would have the for sure anwser because there the precessors. thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">