• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Nassau County NY Divorce (fault) pro se question- PLEASE HELP

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kaisjewels

What is the name of your state?
New York
I am going to attempt to get my divorce pro se in Nassau County New York- We have no children together although he moved his 2 teenagers into my home 2 years ago, with no support from ex and things went down hill from there. The home is mine outright- his name is not on anything and he owes me quite a bit of money for legal expenses to get his children away from their mentally ill mother. I love the kids so that is not a problem- they can stay with me if they so choose since they are as fed up with him as I am- but that is not a court issue.
I want file pro se but was told this is now in supreme court in Nassau- I have good grounds and even if it is was a load of garbage, he will still not show up and has absolutely no money for this. He is in tax arrears and has been mentally abusing me for months as well as physically breaking my arm last year but I did not file charges- yep, I know- Idiot.
Please could someone tell me the steps and forms that need to be filed as pro se such as RFI, order to show cause etc- I am very confused what I have to file to get this underway as a pro se litagant.........please help if you can and tell me the steps.........it would really help as I have no money to deal with this since he will no longer give any money toward the house expenses.

rmet4nzkx

Here is a link to the state of New York for forms for uncontested divorce, please read the instructions as this may or may not be what you need, there forms and other services where for a low cost they provide the forms and some guidance.
Divorce ... Uniform Uncontested Divorce Packet Forms. ...
www.courts.state.ny.us/litigants/divorce/index.shtml
http://www.courts.state.ny.us/forms/index.shtml

Here are a couple of links with some information you may also do a search:
http://www.divorcelawinfo.com/states/ny/newyork.htm http://www.uslegalforms.com/divorce/new-york-divorce-forms.htm

While the children are not a part of this, if you and or them are contemplating custody, you may still need an attorney, also his tax problems may affect you if you have comingled your money at all. If he has abandonded you and the children you may still qualify for support for them. Even though he broke your arm last year, it is not too late to report it and take other action.
Here is a number for domestic violence: Nassau County Coalition Against Domestic Violence (516) 542-0404
they may also have other resources and advice available to you and may be a good place to start.

K

kaisjewels

Thanks for the sites- I will look at them- these children are not mine- they are his from a previous marriage. The live with us but they really are of no consequence to me as I know they are as sick of him as I am and if he goes, they will have to go with him or go to their mom/s in florida- I have no intention of trying to do anything related to the kids- I do care for them, and if they wanted to finish school I would have no issue of letting them stay but that is not an issue at all that I would even want to talk about in court. So for this case, we have no children together- could I possibly file an uncontested divorce action knowing that he will not go anywhere near court? He does this "run away" thing and I could bet my life that there is no reason that he would even acknowledge being served papers or EVER show up- this is the way he lives life- running away.
Any suggestions?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">