• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Name change after divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Braat

What is the name of your state?Virginia

My divorce is nearly final. I asked my soon-to-be-ex to put in the divorce papers that I wished to return to using my maiden name. However, he did not. When I married him, I kept my maiden name and hyphenated it using his last name. Can't I just take his name off and do that without going through the hassle of paying to have my name legally changed back? Can't I just use my divorce papers as proof that my name is back to my maiden name? Would my employment and social security, etc. accept that?

Also, if I have to go through this legal name change, can't I just file the paperwork myself at the circuit court without paying a lawyer to write it up?

THanks for your help! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">