• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

an offense under these circumstances?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LadyRose

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Va

Without getting into the *very* lengthy background:

If someone attempts to contact my minor children via U.S. mail, would I be considered to be illegally tampering with their mail by marking it "return to sender"?

Thank you,
Rose

CdwJava

Too many variables here - though I assume you are referring to MINOR children (under 18) ... if this someone is a person with whom the children have a legitimate or court-ordered relationship with (such as a non-custodial parent or relative) then you might be on thin ice. If the people attempting to send letters are in no way related or have a legitimate need to contact your child, then I do not believe there is anything wrong with returning it.

But ... this opinion may change depending on the details.

- Carl

LadyRose

Thank you, Carl

To expand a bit in case the variables DO change the answer:

Yes, the children are minors (11 & 13)

The person is my biological mother. She has no legal relationship with myself or my children, as I was adopted as an infant.

To over-encapsulate the story:

I searched for biological mother for well over ten years. Found her 18 months ago, but sadly, it's not been a good 'reunion'. A little over 2 months ago, I told her I would no longer be contacting her, and requested that she no longer contact me.

Yesterday, what I assume to be Halloween cards came in the mail addressed to my children from her. This is (I believe) her way of trying to 're-open the door'---attempting to use my children as a gateway. Lovely.

I intend to (if legal) mark the cards as 'return to sender'. The children are unaware that the cards are here.

I also intend to mail a separate letter reiterating (sp?) my decision to break off contact, and telling her not to attempt to contact myself, my family, or my children. She didn't honor the verbal request, so now I have to put it in writing.

Sad, but there you have it. :(

CdwJava

Personally, as the parent of minor children, I think you are well within your legal right to send the mail back. I know that we wouldn't prosecute for it.

But, to be completely certain, give your local postal inspector a call. You should be able to clear it all up in the morning.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">