• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

do I have to file in the state where we married?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mchaber

What is the name of your state? Arizona
My husband and I have been separated off and on for five years. He lives in Minnesota and I recently moved to Arizona. Do I have to file in Minnesota? Also, how do I get my name off of the mortgage, as he has wrecked my credit.

LdiJ

mchaber said:
What is the name of your state? Arizona
My husband and I have been separated off and on for five years. He lives in Minnesota and I recently moved to Arizona. Do I have to file in Minnesota? Also, how do I get my name off of the mortgage, as he has wrecked my credit.
If he isn't paying the mortgage properly then he probably isn't going to be able to refi the house into his name only. Therefore you are probably going to have to ask the judge to order that the house be sold. You can file for divorce in AZ as soon as you are a legal resident there (it takes 6 months to be a legal resident).

Laura

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">