• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandma's neighbor's dead tree

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dldm1123

What is the name of your state? Louisiana
My grandma's neighbor has a tree in her yard that is dying from the ground up. Some of the limbs hang over Granny's house. 2 years ago she paid to have some removed (so-called insurance requirement) but as it's a very large tree, more limbs are falling & causing roof leaks. I've already talked to city workers who confirmed that it's the neighbor's responsibility, but as far as making them cut it down or reimburse her for the cost, she would need to get a lawyer. How can I go about asking them to cut or pay without involving the lawyers? Could I speak to her insurance company? This tree poses a danger of falling onto Granny's house & Granny herself. Yes, it would alleviate the threat if Granny had it cut down but she's an elderly woman with limited funds.

BelizeBreeze

If any part of the tree is hanging over grannys property, it is granny's responsibility. NOT that of her neighbor. Go cut the tree limbs causing the problems down for granny. How about that?

D

dldm1123

Land Management said if it's the neighbor's tree, it's the neighbor's responsibility. Although I don't have any qualms about doing a bit of tree climbing, Granny would never let her grandaughter climb a tree that size (WAY taller than her two-story house) with a blade of any kind, esp. since the rotted limbs could break off with me on them.

HomeGuru

dldm1123 said:
Land Management said if it's the neighbor's tree, it's the neighbor's responsibility. Although I don't have any qualms about doing a bit of tree climbing, Granny would never let her grandaughter climb a tree that size (WAY taller than her two-story house) with a blade of any kind, esp. since the rotted limbs could break off with me on them.
**A: and who the heck is Land Management?

D

dldm1123

The phone # given to me to call was the City Parish Government Office. Not sure what division the lady I spoke with was in...either Land Mgmt., Citizen Services, or the whole (city gov) shebang. At any rate, I called that office to get "a lawful" answer to the responsibility question. She also said that sometimes all it takes to get a neighbor to cut a hazardous tree down is for a lawyer to send them a letter. What letter I don't know...I would assume it's more like a "last chance" letter.

Send the neighbor a very polite letter (certified RRR) stating you believe the tree is a potential hazard and any resulting damage will be the responsibility of the neighbor. Keep copies of your correspondence and the return card from the RRR.

Oops, edited to add the overhanging limbs are your responsibility, as previously noted. Hire someone to trim the branches back.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">