• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dog-walking laws?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cindynj

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

I'm starting a House/Pet Sitting business and I also walk dogs during the week. Recently I was walking a dog for a client and I was yelled at by a local resident. She said I shouldn't allow the dog to walk on people's lawns. This was NOT her lawn the dog was on, but a neighbor's. I simply told her that I had the dog on a leash and I was cleaning up after him like I always do. Now I'm starting to wonder if she was right? My question is this. Is the grassy area between the street and the sidewalk considered public property? Where can I let the dogs go to the bathroom without getting sued or the police called on me? I don't want to uspet any homeowners, but I want to know if I'm doing something wrong.

HomeGuru

cindynj said:
What is the name of your state? New Jersey

I'm starting a House/Pet Sitting business and I also walk dogs during the week. Recently I was walking a dog for a client and I was yelled at by a local resident. She said I shouldn't allow the dog to walk on people's lawns. This was NOT her lawn the dog was on, but a neighbor's. I simply told her that I had the dog on a leash and I was cleaning up after him like I always do. Now I'm starting to wonder if she was right? My question is this. Is the grassy area between the street and the sidewalk considered public property? Where can I let the dogs go to the bathroom without getting sued or the police called on me? I don't want to uspet any homeowners, but I want to know if I'm doing something wrong.

**A: unless in a private community, in most cases that area belongs to the city or town that owns the roads.

nextwife

Contact your municipality who can verify who owns what there. Likely you were doing nothing wrong if the dog was in the 'tween space and you are collecting after them.

HomeGuru

nextwife said:
Contact your municipality who can verify who owns what there. Likely you were doing nothing wrong if the dog was in the 'tween space and you are collecting after them.
**A: ok Fido, make sure you go pooh in the 'tween space only.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">