• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First offense - drug charge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

angizm

What is the name of your state? - Maryland

A few days ago my boyfriend and I were coming back from the mall on our way back home. We were stopped for speeding - 47 in a 30 - by a state trooper. When she walked up to the door, she told us why she had stopped us and then asked what have you guys been smoking? she then made my boyfriend get out of the car and move to the rear. she then asked him where the marijuana was and he said i don't know what you're talking about. at this point i was sitting in the passenger seat of my car and i was calling my mom. she came up to my door, opened it, yanked my arm and told me to get off the cell phone. My boyfriend then asked if he could use the phone to call his lawyer, and she said no. She then came back to my door and said that she was going to search the car, and wanted to know if she was going to find any seeds, stems, etc. I said I don't know what you're talking about. She then began searching me, putting her hands down my shirt and such. By this time another officer had arrived and she made me sit on the ground in front of her car. Her and another officer started searching the car, finding "cigar tubes" which I had been collecting for an art project, a case of warm beer, and some marijuana stems. They also found a 200 g. weight that came with a weighing machine i bought for a friend for his creatine and other health powder stuff a few months earlier. She then moved me towards her car and shoved her hands down my pants saying that she wanted to know where the marijuana was and if iit was down my pants, she was going to find it. At this point, she placed both of us under arrest, without telling us why. We didn't find out our charges until we arrived at the detention center about 5 hours after we were arrested. When she put me in her car, she read me my Miranda rights, then stated "do you choose to remain silent and waive these rights?" to which I responded "you told me i had the right to remain silent so i will remain silent". she then said, fine be that way, then radioed to have my car towed, "upon the drivers request". On the way to the police station she called a friend on her cell phone bragging about her two arrests. this may not be illegal but it sure as hell is frustrating! upon arrival, my boyfriend was strip-searched in his cell, though he wasn't even wearing boxers. We were then moved to the detention center, where I was allowed to call my parents and a few hours after being in the holdnig cell received a report stating that I had been charged with "posession of a controlled dangerous substance, and posess with intent to use drug paraphernalia to wit: empty cigar containers with cigar shavings removed, used to inhale/introduce into the human body by MARIHUANA" (she spelled it marihuana throughout the report). My boyfriend was not able to use the phone until he was released from the detention center, 7 hours after we were arrested, and he used a pay phone outside of the center. These cops were very, very disrespectful towards us and I would LOVE to get them in trouble. Granted, I had illegal things in my car, but I was hoping they did something to violate my rights in some way. This is my first time being arrested, but my boyfriend had already been arrested by the same officer a few months earlier for obstruction of justice. This has been expunged from his record.

HomeGuru

angizm said:

A few days ago my boyfriend and I were coming back from the mall on our way back home. We were stopped for speeding - 47 in a 30 - by a state trooper. When she walked up to the door, she told us why she had stopped us and then asked what have you guys been smoking? she then made my boyfriend get out of the car and move to the rear. she then asked him where the marijuana was and he said i don't know what you're talking about. at this point i was sitting in the passenger seat of my car and i was calling my mom. she came up to my door, opened it, yanked my arm and told me to get off the cell phone. My boyfriend then asked if he could use the phone to call his lawyer, and she said no. She then came back to my door and said that she was going to search the car, and wanted to know if she was going to find any seeds, stems, etc. I said I don't know what you're talking about. She then began searching me, putting her hands down my shirt and such. By this time another officer had arrived and she made me sit on the ground in front of her car. Her and another officer started searching the car, finding "cigar tubes" which I had been collecting for an art project, a case of warm beer, and some marijuana stems. They also found a 200 g. weight that came with a weighing machine i bought for a friend for his creatine and other health powder stuff a few months earlier. She then moved me towards her car and shoved her hands down my pants saying that she wanted to know where the marijuana was and if iit was down my pants, she was going to find it. At this point, she placed both of us under arrest, without telling us why. We didn't find out our charges until we arrived at the detention center about 5 hours after we were arrested. When she put me in her car, she read me my Miranda rights, then stated "do you choose to remain silent and waive these rights?" to which I responded "you told me i had the right to remain silent so i will remain silent". she then said, fine be that way, then radioed to have my car towed, "upon the drivers request". On the way to the police station she called a friend on her cell phone bragging about her two arrests. this may not be illegal but it sure as hell is frustrating! upon arrival, my boyfriend was strip-searched in his cell, though he wasn't even wearing boxers. We were then moved to the detention center, where I was allowed to call my parents and a few hours after being in the holdnig cell received a report stating that I had been charged with "posession of a controlled dangerous substance, and posess with intent to use drug paraphernalia to wit: empty cigar containers with cigar shavings removed, used to inhale/introduce into the human body by MARIHUANA" (she spelled it marihuana throughout the report). My boyfriend was not able to use the phone until he was released from the detention center, 7 hours after we were arrested, and he used a pay phone outside of the center. These cops were very, very disrespectful towards us and I would LOVE to get them in trouble. Granted, I had illegal things in my car, but I was hoping they did something to violate my rights in some way. This is my first time being arrested, but my boyfriend had already been arrested by the same officer a few months earlier for obstruction of justice. This has been expunged from his record.
**A: thank you for your heart warming story. I also found it quite humorous.

O

OhBullship

Do you really feel the police should waste an ounce of respect on drug users?

Z

zakman812

yes you ****ing dip****! There are many responsible drug users that do not put themselves or others at harm. They deserve the same respect as anyone else. The police are required to treat people with this equal respect, that is part of their job.

BelizeBreeze

angizm said:

CONGRATSULATIONS!!!!!!

Your post has been selected as the FIRST ENTRANT in the FA yearly Most Stupid Posts contest.

Please check back to see if you've won.

O

OhBullship

zakman812, prove it. You show me where it says that a police officer has to show respect, as defined by the terms of this poster.

The police do NOT have to treat a druggie the same way they would treat their mother. As long as they are not going too far, they can decide to show respect to whoever they want. You do not have some type of right to a "respectful" arrest.

HomeGuru

zakman812 said:
yes you ****ing dip****! There are many responsible drug users that do not put themselves or others at harm. They deserve the same respect as anyone else. The police are required to treat people with this equal respect, that is part of their job.

**A: referenced post.

angizm

wow...this is crazy. i didn't want to get bashed for what i choose to do in my free time. smoking weed is a victimless crime. i thought this was for advice, not for bashing. i feel that the police officer was extremely disrespectful, not because i am a "druggie", but because i am 18 years old. the most prominant people in the city where i live smoke more than i do. Had they been pulled over, this police officer would no longer have a job. Maybe you should try being a little more open minded instead of jumping on someone because they have different beliefs. Druggie or not, EVERYONE has rights.

O

OhBullship

Show me where you have a right to be respected, or to live a life without feeling disrespected.

I don't care what you do in your free time, you were looking for a way to "get back" at the officer who arrested you. I'm wondering how much of that was shining through while you were going through this??

You Are Guilty

I got a crazy idea - how about not doing anything illegal and then you won't need to worry about how to "get back" at the cops for their "harassment"?

In fact, I'd say you and your repeat offender boyfriend got off lightly - you mouth off to a cop around here and the next thing you know, you're likely to find a plunger sticking out of your bunghole.

PS to Belize: "CONGRATSULATIONS" ?? :p

angizm

We weren't allowed to use the phone, we weren't told why we were being arrested, i was told that if i chose to remain silent i was waiving my rights, the cops that were on the scene were the same cops who had harrassed not only my mother at the scene of an accident my brother was in, but also my boyfriend's father repeatedly throughout the year. Our parents do NOTHING that is illegal, yet they are still disrespected by dyke cops on power trips. I think I've heard enough from dyke 'lawyers' in the same situation. Thanks for the great advice, I don't think I'll be requiring anymore of your expert opinions!

O

OhBullship

Good for you! Now, for your sake, I hope the dyke judge is more impressed with you than the rest of the world.

You should be sure to tell the judge that you were disrespected, and that you demand your right to a respectful trial. :D I'm sure that when the judge sees that you know about your right to be respected, things will go much better for you.

Z

zakman812

ohBullship, your input is not helpful to anyone. Your answers do not provide anything for people. All you do here is waste everyone's time telling people what they do not need to hear. You are pathetic, get a life!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">