• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

condo votes and fees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bebs

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?i am currently in an 11-unit condo in maryland. our condo association is structured so that each unit owner is a member with 1 equal vote. there are a few 1 bedroom units, more 2 bedroom units and 1 4 bedroom unit in the complex. we each pay condo fees based on our square footage, so the 1 br unit pays twice the monthly condo fee as the 1br unit. we are currently in the process of reviewing and updating our condo docs and a small movement has surfaced to change the voting rules to reflect the percentage of ownership, so for example the 1br unit would have 0.5 votes and the 1 br 1 vote and the 4 br, 2 votes. at first this seemed logical to me, but upon further reflection it would that the 3 small unit owners would lose their voice with only 1/2 a vote. it would seem more fair for everyone to be able to vote on whether we allocate any expenditures that would affect each of us, and then for each of us to pay based on our percentage of ownership. does that make sense? is there any legal guidance anyone might be able to provide me? thank you.

HomeGuru

bebs said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?i am currently in an 11-unit condo in maryland. our condo association is structured so that each unit owner is a member with 1 equal vote. there are a few 1 bedroom units, more 2 bedroom units and 1 4 bedroom unit in the complex. we each pay condo fees based on our square footage, so the 1 br unit pays twice the monthly condo fee as the 1br unit. we are currently in the process of reviewing and updating our condo docs and a small movement has surfaced to change the voting rules to reflect the percentage of ownership, so for example the 1br unit would have 0.5 votes and the 1 br 1 vote and the 4 br, 2 votes. at first this seemed logical to me, but upon further reflection it would that the 3 small unit owners would lose their voice with only 1/2 a vote. it would seem more fair for everyone to be able to vote on whether we allocate any expenditures that would affect each of us, and then for each of us to pay based on our percentage of ownership. does that make sense? is there any legal guidance anyone might be able to provide me? thank you.
**A: no, it does not make sense. Leave the voting criteria alone.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">