• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Liability with Stolen Item Sold on Ebay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

StefanM

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?State: California

I recently sold several unique musical instruments on eBay to clear out studio space and bolster my family finances affected by unemployment and unexpected medical bills.

-I had made the sale of one instrument and received full payment.
-The buyer was going to arrange shipping to the East Coast and I agreed to store it free of charge until he could make such arrangements for its pickup.
-A couple of days later, before any shipping, I was contacted by a local police agency (at a local university) and informed that the instrument had been stolen from their university over 10 years ago and now asked me to return the instrument immediately.
-In talking with the detective, I was assured that I was not a suspect, perhaps just noting that I included a detailed description and serial information with extensive photos on the sale page and I am cooperating in everyway to return the instrument to the rightful owners.

The instrument had been given to me by another musician several years ago as he needed more space and I was not one to turn down a gift. I restore and repaired it and dug into its unique history--it never even crossed my mind that it might be stolen nor would I have accepted it in the first place if I had known. Had I not sold it on eBay, I would have never discovered it to be stolen.

My question is this:
--Am I legal liable to pay back the money I got from the sale before it was known that the instrument was stolen, if so how long would I have?
--What about my time and expenses for restoring and repairing the instrument?
--Is there possible criminal action that can be taken against myself now or later--something I can prepare for or avoid?

Certainly any info or suggestions would be very useful.

Thanks!
Stef

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">