• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do we need to legally separate before filing for divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? currently CA, will be OR

I'm really confused as to what happens during the 6mo from the serving date of the divorce until it is actually finalized. When do the visitation and child support agreements actually take effect? If it is when the divorce is final, then what happens during the 6 months? When can I move out of state with the children? Do we need to file a legal separation with the same exact agreements of the divorce first? How long would that take, and then how long after could we file for divorce?

Our current plan is to get our finances squared off so that our division of everything can occur and file for divorce mid December. (I'm in OR visiting family with the kids Nov17-Dec 5.) Then if possible the kids and I would move to OR after Christmas. Can we do this even though the divorce is not final?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">