• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my 14yr old son arrested, I think.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nancy3227

What is the name of your state?Maryland
My son, who is 14, was charged with posession of pot last sat. night. He and 2 others kids bought $5 worth off of some 17 yr old that approched them on the street. I got a call from the city police saying that they had my son and what the charge was. I arrived at the station to get him the officers told me the circumstances, brought him out said I'd get a letter to appear a juvenile court and we when home. They said since he wasn't in trouble before he would probably get community service for punishment. After I flipped out about it for 2 days my son and I had a discussion about the events that took place and he asked me why they didn't read him his rights?? That is ? #1. They questioned him of course and ? #2 doesn't a parent or lawyer need to be in the presence of a juvenile while questioning? They also had him sign something prior to finger printing him and I have no idea what it was, I wasn't there. Also, they didn't have me sign anything. As if this all isn't bad enough, Tuesday I get a call from the vice principal at his school. He tells me I need to get there asap that my son was in a fight and was beaten pretty bad and the ambulance and police were on the way. I said who was he in the fight with? He told me but I didn't know who it was. I said what was it about? he said your son keeps saying he thinks I told on him and I didn't. The sellor of the pot jumped my son while he was on his way home thinking he narked, which he didn't. And the fight was however still on school property. This kid is 17, in an alternative school, weights 275lbs and is 6'5". My son who is 14, 5'10 and 145bls was a mess, I had to have his face x-rayed, he ended up swelled and bruised but nothing serious. The police said the kid was being charged with assult and the school was charging him with tresspassing. When I arrived at the school I took the police officer aside and informed him of what this was all about (a hugh mistake). On wed. the officer came to my home for a statement from my son about the events and said that he was picking this kid up at school the next day. Why school I don't know either? Weather it happened or not I don't know. I've tried to call the police for 2 days to talk to someone and no one returns my calls. I didn't sign anything again for pressing charges. Thats my next ? Do I have to do something, sign something? Then Friday @ 10 am while I'm at work the V.principal calls my cell and says he wanted to let me know that he and the principal had my son in the office to question him about Sat. night. he said my son admitted to what they asked and they wanted me to know he was kicked off the football team. I asked him how they knew and he said the principal from the alternative school called and told them??? I think this is a line of crap, the other VP at the school is married to the cheif of the city police. Confideciality right? Not in a small town. I know I will never prove that one, but it sure does suck. My son is not a bad kid he made a terrible decision and I think he's paying dearly. He is a great athelete and is doing good in school he has never been in trouble with the law before. I am not condoning what he did by any means but I think there are unjust things here. Things I don't understand and I can't get the police to return my calls to answer my questions. And when I do talk to them I don't think I will get any answers. I want this mennis to pay for what he did to my son. He jumped him, he had no right to do what he did and he's hugh. I'm thankful it was broke up when it was. The officer that came to my house said he has a record longer than most adults that are in jail. I am also up set with the school for kicking him off the team during school, without calling me in to be there when they questioned him and did it. All I could think about all day was how my son had to be feeling. He had to go the entire day without being able to talk to me, bet he learned alot on friday. What a lesson, what a night mare. This has been unbelievable. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

O

OhBullship

Since you did not use paragraphs, your post was a pain to read.

Your son made a statement to the police with you there, correct? There is no problem there.

I'm not sure why you have a problem with the schools actions. What are you hoping to accomplish with that?

As a parent, I would not be trying to find a way for my child to play sports, or to avoid trouble. This one incident is the first time you found out about it. How many times do you suppose you just didn't know it? I understand that you put him through two days of hell, but he made a decision to do something with legal consequences, and he needs to face those consequences. One season off of the team is not going to kill him. Getting away with criminal activity might do more harm than good. He is your kid, so you can do as you would like. It he were my kid, I would not be looking for a way out for him.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
The school is allowed to discipline kids, even if the action didn't take place on school grounds. Especially when it comes to extracurricular activities. And as Bullship said - this isn't necessarily the first time he's done something like this, just the first time he was caught. In all honesty, my kid would be feeling a hell of a lot worse thinking about my reaction than about anything the school or the law could do to him.

N

nancy3227

Sorry you had trouble reading. There are 3 different insidences on 3 different days, it confuses me too.
I am in no way trying to get him out of anything I know what he did and I agree he needs to pay the consequense. I didn't get on here to get advice on rearing my child. I'm upset about the way everything was handled. And weather he did something wrong or not he is still a citizen of the US and has rights just like everyone else. I also need to know the process of filing charges agains the kid that beat him.
My questions are as follows:
Day one:
When he was picked up by the police for the possession charge he was searched, hand cuffed and taken to the police station. No rights read ever, is that legal?
They questioned him without a parent or a lawyer present, is that legal?
They also had him sign something prior to finger printing him, is that legal?
(still no parent or lawyer)
When I got there we just left, they didn't have me sign anything? Was he actually charged?
Day 2 the fight.
The police said the kid who beat my son was being charged with assult and the school was charging him with trespassing. (he was kicked out of this school thats why he was trespassing)
Should I have signed something pressing the charges for assult or is that just something the police do?
Day 3
As far as the football team goes I hear what your are saying, there are only 2 games left, but he's a headliner player, every game and this will possibly affect his chance to be moved to varsity instead of JV nest year, and you are innocent until proven guilty, right? And the school questioning him without a parent regarding a legal issue is not right either. The pot incident didn't happen at school or on school propety.
He is also a juvenile, 14yrs old, which protects his record or any dealings with the police from the public and is suppose to be confidential, that has been violated by the cheif of police's wife at the school.
If you want to help me answer these questions that's great. But I don't need lectured that's not why I got on this site. This has been an ordeal, my child has never, ever been in any kind of trouble, he plays sports and has good grades. I don't want to turn a good kid bad or have him labled as a pot head, the kid no ones parents wants their kid around. He made a bad decision and does not deserve to have it haunt him the rest of his high school years. I've punished him, he's grounded and had his stereo and computer taken away, he's had the **** beat out of him and got kicked off the team. He's paying the consequences, I think.
I don't mean to sound bitchy, and I am in know way trying to get him out of this. Thanks
PS the statement given to the police by my son was regarding the events of the fight, and it was written. I was present for this, and it was done at our home.

Last edited:
O

OhBullship

nancy3227 said:
Day one:
When he was picked up by the police for the possession charge he was searched, hand cuffed and taken to the police station. No rights read ever, is that legal?
Yes, a person only has to have their rights read to them before a custodial interrogation, not before an arrest.

nancy3227 said:
When I got there we just left, they didn't have me sign anything? Was he actually charged?
Did he request either a parent or an attorney to be there? What did he sign prior to being printed?

nancy3227 said:
Day 2 the fight.
The police said the kid who beat my son was being charged with assult and the school was charging him with trespassing. (he was kicked out of this school thats why he was trespassing)
Should I have signed something pressing the charges for assult or is that just something the police do?
The police are the ones who bring charges, except in some instances. You do not need to do anything in most jurisdictions. I do not live where you do, but I doubt it is all that much different.

nancy3227 said:
Day 3
As far as the football team goes I hear what your are saying, there are only 2 games left, but he's a headliner player, every game and this will possibly affect his chance to be moved to varsity instead of JV nest year, and you are innocent until proven guilty, right? And the school questioning him without a parent regarding a legal issue is not right either. The pot incident didn't happen at school or on school propety.
He is also a juvenile, 14yrs old, which protects his record or any dealings with the police from the public and is suppose to be confidential, that has been violated by the cheif of police's wife at the school.
The school is not the general public, and his school found out about it from the alternative school, at least that is what I gathered from your posting. It was like gossip, and they asked questions and got answers to those questions. When the other kid was in trouble for trespassing, he might have blabbed about his "reasons" to the school your son attends for all anyone knows. The school is allowed to find out what is going on.

nancy3227 said:
If you want to help me answer these questions that's great. But I don't need lectured that's not why I got on this site. This has been an ordeal, my child has never, ever been in any kind of trouble, he plays sports and has good grades. I don't want to turn a good kid bad or have him labled as a pot head, the kid no ones parents wants their kid around. He made a bad decision and does not deserve to have it haunt him the rest of his high school years. I've punished him, he's grounded and had his stereo and computer taken away, he's had the **** beat out of him and got kicked off the team. He's paying the consequences, I think.
I don't mean to sound bitchy, and I am in know way trying to get him out of this. Thanks
What I was saying is that besides the consequences he has to face from his family, his decision also carried legal consequences. Those are not something I would let my child avoid. Right now, he is young, and can be easily forgiven. If he does get away with it, it just might be too tempting to try it again. Crime ruins lives, since he is young, his will only be ruined for a few years. I am not, and have not told you how to parent your child, I was telling you what I would do. I understand this is stressful for you, and like everyone else, you want your child to have a trouble free childhood. You are behaving as a normal parent. The problem is that your child engaged in illegal activity, not just breaking your rules.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
nancy3227 said:
Day one:
A: If he was questioned prior to being arrested - he didn't have to be read his rights.

nancy3227 said:
Day 2 the fight.
A: The DA presses charges, not you.

nancy3227 said:
Day 3
As far as the football team goes I hear what your are saying, there are only 2 games left, but he's a headliner player, every game and this will possibly affect his chance to be moved to varsity instead of JV nest year, and you are innocent until proven guilty, right?
A: Then he shouldn't have been even thinking about using drugs. The school isn't required to wait until he's convicted to suspend him from the team.

nancy3227 said:
And the school questioning him without a parent regarding a legal issue is not right either. The pot incident didn't happen at school or on school propety.
A: Actually, the school acts in loco parentis - or in the parent's stead. They were well within their rights to question him.

nancy3227 said:
A: Can you prove it? Your son apparently raised the issue himself the day of the fight - a semi-intelligent person would be able to put "he thinks I narced on him" together with drug use.

O

OhBullship

messedwith said:
Nancy, I suggest putting ohbullship on ignore, as he is a complete idiot and will just waste your time.
This poster is on probation, and feels it is unfair that he is subject to probationary searches. You might have your son read through his threads about being strip searched in public, so he has an idea of why he would not want to follow down the wrong path.

Hey probation boy, don't try to get these kids to follow in your tracks. You have enough to deal with by being followed by the police.

N

nancy3227

Okay, thanks for the replys and your time. I just don't think this is the kind of site I need. Enjoy bashing each other. Chow.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">