• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

babygirl2sce

California. 12 years ago, I divorced my ex-husband. We attended mediation, but he didn't stick around to appear in front of the judge, so I won by default. I received custody of our daughter. Now 12 years later, he is taking me to court to get custody of our, now 15 year old daughter. I went to the clerk of the court, paid the fees and ordered the certified copies of the divorce from 1992. The clerk sent me a letter stating there was no record of the divorce on file,.........anywhere. The archives were searched and turned up nothing. Does this mean we are still married? The next court date regarding the custody of our daughter is Monday 10/18/2004 and at the first hearing the judge granted an order shortening time for me to have my response to the OSC filed and served. It should have been done by 10/08/2004. I still haven't done the papers because I don't know what to do. Am I going to lose Monday by default because of my failure to have the papers done by the the ordered date. What do I do now? I can't afford an attorney. Also, he was recently remarried 2 years ago and when I asked him if he was able to get our final divorce papers, he said no. He just got married without verifying our divorce was final. Can someone please tell me what to do??? I have to appear in court first thing Monday morning against him and his attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">