• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Boundary Dispute with Nasty Neighbor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jguesman

What is the name of your state? Indiana

My elderly parents have a nasty neighbor who has filed a suit against them claiming that their garage is on her property. My parents had difficulty finding an attorney who would take the case in their small town and ended up with a very junior attorney who does not specialize in real estate law.

The original survey conducted in 1993 when my parents purchased the property and certified by the city of greentown indicates that the existing property line as marked (stake in the front and etching in front curb) is correct. My parents also have the approved permit from the city of greentown when they constructed the garage in 1998. The city came out and staked the property line for the builders.

The nasty neighbor had her own survey done indicating that the marked property line is actually off by six feet. This puts my parents garage too close to the line based on zoning regulations and puts a corner of the driveway apron actually on the nasty neighbor's property. The neighbor will not provide my parent's attorney with a copy of the survey.

My parents paid for their own survey and it showed the same results as the nasty neighbor's survey with the exception that it showed that the neighbors on the other side of my parents' had six feet of my parent's property. This would put the neighbor's house two feet from my parent's property line.

My parents are now considering a third survey with a more reputable surveying firm outside the county to ensure objectivity. They are also considering firing their attorney who has yet to get a copy of the original survey (my parents finally went and did this on their own) or successfully get a copy of the nasty neighbor's survey.

How can I help my parents find a reputable real estate attorney (I live in california and can't be there in person to help them) and a reputable surveyor? what else should they know as they try and deal with this situation.

HomeGuru

jguesman said:
What is the name of your state? Indiana

My elderly parents have a nasty neighbor who has filed a suit against them claiming that their garage is on her property. My parents had difficulty finding an attorney who would take the case in their small town and ended up with a very junior attorney who does not specialize in real estate law.

The original survey conducted in 1993 when my parents purchased the property and certified by the city of greentown indicates that the existing property line as marked (stake in the front and etching in front curb) is correct. My parents also have the approved permit from the city of greentown when they constructed the garage in 1998. The city came out and staked the property line for the builders.

The nasty neighbor had her own survey done indicating that the marked property line is actually off by six feet. This puts my parents garage too close to the line based on zoning regulations and puts a corner of the driveway apron actually on the nasty neighbor's property. The neighbor will not provide my parent's attorney with a copy of the survey.

My parents paid for their own survey and it showed the same results as the nasty neighbor's survey with the exception that it showed that the neighbors on the other side of my parents' had six feet of my parent's property. This would put the neighbor's house two feet from my parent's property line.

My parents are now considering a third survey with a more reputable surveying firm outside the county to ensure objectivity. They are also considering firing their attorney who has yet to get a copy of the original survey (my parents finally went and did this on their own) or successfully get a copy of the nasty neighbor's survey.

How can I help my parents find a reputable real estate attorney (I live in california and can't be there in person to help them) and a reputable surveyor? what else should they know as they try and deal with this situation.
**A: www attorneypages.com

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">