• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Private Property Parking Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gtspm10000

What is the name of your state? California

I recently received a parking ticket issued by the University of Southern California (private university) for parking 'in a lot without a permit'. This 'lot' is actually an internal street in the middle of campus. There are no signs of any kind posted on the side of the street I was parked on. The university's position is that they post a sign at the entrance to campus saying that a permit is needed at any unmetered space. However, there are no barricades forcing visitors to stop and read the signs and the university streets flow without interruption into normal city streets. I don't dispute that private property owners can make up any rules they want, but I am wondering if anyone is familiar with precendent or law that regulates what is reasonably necessary to inform visitors. Common sense (aware as I am that there is nothing further from the law) leads me to believe that some standard must be applied to prevent private property owners (especially ones so intertwined with the local community) from maliciously enforcing rules that are not sufficiently communicated to visitors.

Shay-Pari'e

(QUOTE)The university's position is that they post a sign at the entrance to campus saying that a permit is needed at any unmetered space. However, there are no barricades forcing visitors to stop and read the signs and the university streets flow without interruption into normal city streets(QUOTE)

The university is not required to put up barricades for visitors, when it is common sense to read road signs., just as it is common sense to read stop signs.

The sign was there and you probobly missed it, but that does not negate the University's stand on illegal parking. You don't have a case .

Best of luck, parking in Cali does suck.

CdwJava

Appeal the cite through the issuing Agency's procedures, bring a photo of the street, the signs to the entry of the street, and hope for the best.

- Carl

G

gtspm10000

Yes, it is common sense to read road signs; conversely, the signs the university puts up do not follow standard signage colors or format and are so small as to be illegible from the roadway.

The university is not required to put up barricades for visitors, when it is common sense to read road signs., just as it is common sense to read stop signs.

The sign was there and you probobly missed it, but that does not negate the University's stand on illegal parking. You don't have a case .

Best of luck, parking in Cali does suck.

G

gtspm10000

CdwJava said:
Appeal the cite through the issuing Agency's procedures, bring a photo of the street, the signs to the entry of the street, and hope for the best.

- Carl
I have indeed done so and was denied because of the argument I cited in my first post. They offer the chance at a second appeal with impartial arbiters (students/faculty), but you have to pay the ticket beforehand in order to have that privilege. I think the idea reeks, but would exhausting their procedures improve my position if I ever had to fend off a collections agency with a civil injuction?

CdwJava

gtspm10000 said:
I have indeed done so and was denied because of the argument I cited in my first post. They offer the chance at a second appeal with impartial arbiters (students/faculty), but you have to pay the ticket beforehand in order to have that privilege. I think the idea reeks, but would exhausting their procedures improve my position if I ever had to fend off a collections agency with a civil injuction?
It's essentially posting the bond in advance. It also is a common practice in some types of civil actions as well.

And don't count on using anything to fend off the collections agencies as I doubt a court would issue an injunction based upon your failure to successfully contest a parking cite.

But, I suppose stranger things have happened.

- Carl

G

gtspm10000

Thanks for the advice CdwJava. And you're right, stranger things have happened and will continue to happen as long as we remain those 'crazy Californians'. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">