• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

out of state ticket with twist?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

ticketmaster77

What is the name of your state? california. over the past year i have received 5 parking tickets with out of state plates in california. i never plan on registering the car in california. as far as i know, california has no link between my name and the car, except i did get pulled for a no seatbelt violation and so that officer recorded my driver's license number and license plate number. years ago i got a parking ticket in cali, didnt pay and later junked the car. never heard anything. the tickets show the last 4 numbers of my vin. i worry about my credit rating. ive read other threads related to this but not specifically about california and the fact that i wont be registering this car here and won't be surrendering my plates to dmv here when that would have been done. all the tickets have doubled or tripled...so except for the credit ... id rather take my chances. this all has happened in LA? i'll provide the name of the state the car is registered in if that is relevant....i just don't want to give any zealous bureaucrats any more ideas....stories are on the air here a lot about shady ticketing practices here in LA all the time. anyone have ideas?

CdwJava

In CA these matters (parking tickets) will be handled by the issuing municipality. In general, they will turn the citations over to collections and will seek payment from the registered owner. So, yes, it will eventually effect your credit rating IF they pursue it.

However, in the current budget climate, cities are seemingly going after all manner of old tickets so the chances of it going to collections is greater now that ever before.

But, it IS up to you whether you want to blow it off or not.

Good luck.

- Carl

T

ticketmaster77

follow up- dont try it.

ok...turned out badly. was tracked down in utah. recieved notice saying i had 30 days to pay or increased fines, immobilization, etc. i called to pay 6 days later, and they told me my car had a boot on it. went outside to check and it did. said automatic after 5 tickets, regardless of what the letter said, i guess. although, i hadn't gotten any new tickets in ages so the notice was false..if i have a case against that, let me know.
but it cost a total of 575 instead of original 215. so, hope this info helps someone. -

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">